#REF issue when closing down file - links are missing when reopening files

casco

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I'm having a problems with a number of linked files.

The setup I have is that I a master file to which I have links from a number of other files. Every time I open my master file the links to all the other files has been broken this is even after I have refreshed the master file and allowed editing to happen.

I then relink the master file to the necessary files and links will work while the all the files are open I will save them all. Once I then reopen the master fil all the links are back at #REF status.

The files in question have not been moved from folder to folder, all the files are in .xlsx format,, the files haven't been renamed, the refresh data button does not solve the problem - so it is not issues like this that is causing the problem

Any suggested solution are welcome.

I use Microsoft 360 on a computer that are a few years old

Many thanks for your help

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I had a similar issue, then realized I should close the source workbook last. Especially if the formulas were a bit complex.
Reference formulas seem to be ok with closed workbooks, but complex formulas need to have the source workbook opened, closing the source workbook, and if the destination workbook recalculates, boom, #ref

Upvote 0
Your question seems to have contradictory information in it. Does the master workbook have formulas linking to other workbooks, or do the other workbooks have formulas linking to the master?

Also, what exactly are you refreshing in the master?

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue, then realized I should close the source workbook last. Especially if the formulas were a bit complex.
Reference formulas seem to be ok with closed workbooks, but complex formulas need to have the source workbook opened, closing the source workbook, and if the destination workbook recalculates, boom, #ref

many thanks Daveexcel I will give this a try and see if this solves the issue.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Your question seems to have contradictory information in it. Does the master workbook have formulas linking to other workbooks, or do the other workbooks have formulas linking to the master?

Also, what exactly are you refreshing in the master?

Hi RoryA

The master sheet is linking to other source sheets not the other way around.

Thanks

Upvote 0
What exactly are the links? Are they simple links to cells, or formulas that do calculations (eg SUMIF or COUNTIF, which will not work if the source workbook is closed)?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back