#REF! LINK PROBLEM WORKBOOKS SPREADSHEETS NAME CHANGED

Fireduptotwelve

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. MacOS
So THIS IS IT.
Came to this big SURPRISE.

IF you interconnect your books, no matrix, just interconnect them one with which other and vice versa (the other way around).
everything will run OK and Smooth as long as if you don’t CHANGE the name on any Spreadsheet you have.

If you change Spreadsheet name, you get REFFED. WHY?
We have reached Mars, several satellites floating around the globe track you via gps to know where you are with centimeters of mistake.

and Microsoft Excel, can’t handle a dynamic spreadsheet name
instead of tracking the name, it should be tracking the page Id Info, IDK man, not the name.
name are meant to be changed when you are creating something.
you add and add.
just to came into this problem when you finish.

I made 2 little workbooks interconnected one to the other and the way around the other to the one.
started linking the cells
started changing spreadsheet names

Each workbook had only 4 cells
workbook 1 : spreadsheet 1 cell one (A1) spreadsheet 2 cell 3 (C1)
workbook 2 : spreadsheet 1 cell two (B2) spreadsheet 2 cell 4 (D1)

then I close one book, named spreadsheets, save and close.
open the other book, message “links bla blah” popped up when openning.
yes connect, or no. Or whatever, do your stuff Excel!!! ain’t rocket science!
changed spreadsheets name, cell values, save, close.

Finally, I get to have =REF!, UNTRACKABLE, JUST REF

WHY IN THE WORLD? Because I changed Spreadsheet names? OHHHHH MYYYYY GOOOOD.

WHY IN THE WORLD? ?????????? WHY?
SO NOW EXCEL Can’t Track this thing? ?
not even added new pages, nothing ?????

It goes Crazy for a name changed? Can’t it stick to THE ROOTS of info of that spreadsheet instead of THE NAME?
SPREADSHEETS names are meant to be changed. Is not like You are naming a Human Being.

Data / Edit Links
Nothing happens. Excel went crazy, you can’t handle excel this way.
you need to NEVER INTERCONECT TWO BOOKS ONE TO EACH OTHER, ALWAYS PUT ANOTHER ONE IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS.
This is the only way you can Data / edit links.

MY GOD.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
How would Excel track this information when it is closed?
I open two workbooks, link them, work with them and close them both and exit from Excel.
Then I re-name them, put one of them in a different folder?

How is Excel supposed to keep track of those actions while its closed. Not only on your Windows (which version) computer, but also on my Mac?

Fortunatly, it has an Update links feature that asks you to update any links that have changed since you last opened a workbook.

Upvote 0
If you have a serious question here, rather than a statement which really makes its suitable for >
General Excel Discussion & Other Questions

it’s a question, should have finished with a:

AM I WRONG?

and since I lost so much on this and couldn’t find it on the internet , I REALLLY HOPE MY TITLE IS TRACKABLE for Google for anyone on the near 30 years, until Excel fixes this,

or, AM I WRONG?

I DO HAVE LASTEST UPDATES.

Yes, when you rename a spreadhseet, a file, it does some work, it tracks. BUT WHEN YOU INTERCONNECT THOSE SPREADSHEETS, MEANING: NO MATRIX SHEET, NO MOTHER SHEET,
WHEN IT ASKS YOU, where’s the data? You can’t answer acccurately.
cause itis more complicated than just saying IN THIS PAGE

IT is a: IN THIS PAGE, AND THIS PAGE, AND THIS OTHER PAGE FROM THIS WORKBOOK AND THIS OTHER WORKBOOK...ETC.

I DO REAALY HATED EXCEL. IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A VERY SERIOUS PROGRAM.

Upvote 0
I open two workbooks, link them, work with them and close them both and exit from Excel.

How is Excel supposed to keep track of those actions while its closed. Not only on your Windows (which version) computer, but also on my Mac?

Fortunatly, it has an Update links feature that asks you to update any links that have changed since you last opened a workbook.
I NEVER CHANGED THE NAME OR FOLDER OF THE WORKBOOKS, CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE THAT MIKE?
I DID only changed spreadsheet names on them.

It Is Shy now to even ask the update of links, it’s a business thing. I have 10 workbooks, When you want to do the link data thing you said, it shows a list of then books. If you pick one, can you imagine? The data will be taken from that one, not the other nine.

whatever, It WAS THE WORST SURPRISE I EVER HAD from Excel in my life.

I open it, and it just GOES :REEEEEF!! ?

WHY? BOOKS AND CARPETS ARE THE SAME. I only changed spreadsheet names. Is that a sin? Is that over Excel’s manage of power?

and now, REF.

UNTRACKABLE, irreparaible. JUST REF.
HOURS OF WORK TO THE GARBAGE, JUST REF.

I absolutely understand What you said about picking the workbook on a usb going to a friend’s offline pc, and run the book asking it to be conncected to the other book on my shutted off laptop.

I only changed spreadsheet names.

Upvote 0
So you are telling me I meed to have all the time my 11 books open, everytime, all the time.

I just can’t trust Excel anymore as before.
this was a hard punch.

I rely on it only if I explain it like if it is a child.
because If I go MAKE A NETWROK on it, It will lose it one day.

you need to subdivide everything like if excel is kind of slow to understand things.

i only changed names of spreadsheets and the other books closed.
is that so difficult?

I mean, if you interconnect two books,
you change numbers on one and when open the other one affected by this you expect it makes the calculus, and it does.

That’s why I'm saying, What is wrong with changing a name when it likes and works well when you change numbers on cells?

why, it is linked to a name? And not to the Binary code root of that exact spreadsheet no matter the name.

Upvote 0

Now it just shows

=REF!

just that, not even the link and then REF and cell, just REF.

Upvote 0
SOLUTION as

said

always have all books open when changing thins and they’remlinked

Upvote 0
Still, as I said, EXCEL SHOULD TRACK THE SPREAD**** no matter the name. Come on, be serious! What care excel about the name? It could friendly user show you the name on the formular bar, ok. But deep on roots it shouldnconnect those sheets by internal data,

We are 2020, it shouldn’t matter if we change name or position, or add sheets, the only matter should be, of course, if one DELETES the linked sheet.

IT’S OBVIOUS.

this has to be fixed, Excel is awesome and this is the worst flaw I’ve ever seen on it, it’s like breaking one‘s feet when hit by an ant.

LOVE!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back