Reference Error when opening additional workbooks

combo89

Good morning all,

First off I am using Excel 2013

When i open a workbook that has links to other workbooks everything updates as expected and is working fine and updates as expected. The formula is as follows:

='V:\Accounting\Regional\Q1 Forecast VS Plan\[1Q15 Forecast vs Plan Template-Midwest Region.xlsx]Forecasting Data Entry'!$C$3*1000

When i Open the Q1 Forecast vs Plan by double clicking the file in the folder Q1 Forecast vs Plan and hit 'enable editing' the formula updates as follows:

='V:\Accounting\Regional\Q1 Forecast VS Plan\[1Q15 Forecast vs Plan Template-Midwest Region.xlsx]#REF'!$C$3*1000

With the above being said I have not changed the name of the worksheet where the #REF is showing up it is still Forecasting Data Entry.

Additionally if i were to open up the first workbook I talk about and open up the second workbook through the 'edit links' box on the data tab the issue the #Ref doesn't automatically update.

What is causing this and can it be fixed.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I was able to figure this one out eventually on my own in one step In excel i went to File>Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings> Protected view> Uncheck 'Enable Protected View for Files originating from the Internet'

I was being forced to open up in 'Protected view' by new setting n excel 2013, by turning of the setting that effected files being pulled from the server everything is working with no issue.

Although noone responded to this I figured i'd post my troubleshooting technique in case there is a future issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back