Reference one worksheet to the rest

virginiamesser

:confused:Been pounding my head up against a wall trying to figure out how to do this, and I must tell ya, I am a real idiot when it comes to macros and vba, please if you can help me please put it as simple as you can. Thank you...

My situation: I am trying to make it where the other 12 sheets has the same info as sheet 1 and changes when I change sheet 1 but also has there own formula's and calculation...

Scenerio:

A1:A5-H1:H5 has a text box that needs to be in the other sheets
AB 6-74 has font formatting, cell shading and text that needs to be be in the other sheets
C11:H11 has formulas in them like

C D EF GH
Beginiing Balance Quantity Used Purchased Ending Balance

Each sheet afterward would have the beginning balance of the previous sheets ending balance but with the same calculations.

Is there an easier way of doing this besides have to go to each individual sheet and making the changes?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Not following all you are asking, but here is a real simple way to link cells across workbooks and worksheets:

1. Copy the desired cells to the clipboard.
2. Navigate to the other sheet and select Paste Special.
3. Click the paste Link button. Click OK.

This will dynamically link the data in sheet 1 to sheet 2. When sheet 1 data changes, it will change in sheet 2.

Try it.

Upvote 0
Well, assuming you have multiple cells in different places that you need to link to other multiple cells, there is no easy way, even using code, to accomplish this.

If there is consistancy in the 12 sheets, meaning the links are identical in all 12 sheets, then you could record a macro linking the cells in 1 sheet, and then edit it to reference all the other sheets. But you need to have a decent understanding of VBA to do this.

Upvote 0
Thank you, being that it was only 12 sheets I just went ahead and put the link in each one. Thank you so very very much!! Do you know of any online places to help teach you about VBA and macros?:)

Upvote 0
Thank you for all of your help, but now that I have linked the information together the file has grown from 112KB to 133,750KB, is this normal? Can it be fixed? It also uses up all of my 4 gig of ram.?? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Upvote 0
Unfortunately linking is processor & memory intensive. Each individual link uses up memory. Sounds like you have many of them.

My only thoughts are, if feasible, to consolidate the all workbooks & sheets into one large master workbook, with all sheets from all workbooks in a single workbook. That eliminates the need for dynamic linking, since references from sheet to sheet in a workbook do not require the dynamic linking.

Even if you can consolidate some of the workbooks into single workbooks, that will save memory.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back