Reference to a cell in different spreadsheets

Equity_Researcher

Hi all,

Here is my problem in a few lines. I have a lot of company models which I summarise in a separete spreadsheet. My problem is that whenever my boss updates the input spreadsheets, he changes the name of the spreadsheet (e.g. he moves from 'Company model 6.xls' to 'Company model 7.xls'). As a result, I have to adjust all the formulae linking from those models to reflect the updated name of the model.

I have tried to use '&' to try to create a text string for the reference name, but it doesn't seem to work. So, as I have not been able to come up with a smarter solution, I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I use Excel 2003.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
You need to use the INDIRECT function. However, it will only work if the source file is open. If not, you will need to download the Morefunc add-in (http://software-files-a.cnet.com/s/...423159&isDlm=1&fileName=cnet_Morefunc_zip.exe) and use the INDIRECT.EXT function.
Hi Ben,

I tried to use the INDIRECT function and it is working. However, I was thinkig: isn't there a way of using it not only with the name of the file, but together with the name of the folder so that we don't have to always open the files first? It seems to work if I just link a cell to a cell in another workbook: I don't have to open the second file if I want to update the output one.

Cheers,
Stoyko

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back