Reference VLOOKUP value, not the formula

mcooer0913

I'm using a user-defined function, MEDIANIF, which has the same syntax as AVERAGEIF. I need to find the median of a range of cells (column A) if the value next to it in column B reads "Assessment".

My problem, though, is that the value in column B is derived from a VLOOKUP formula, so the MEDIANIF function returns "VALUE!".

Is there a way to have the cells in column B be read as text and not as their underlying formulas? Or does anyone have a better way to go about this?

Thanks.

Matt

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
You would be served just as well (if not better) using an Array formula

Excel Workbook
ABCD
11Median3.5
22Assessment
33Assessment
44Assessment
66Assessment
Sheet1

NOTE:
If your VLOOKUP values in B contain Error values and/or Column A contains Error values then you should rectify those first such that errors are not returned.

Upvote 0
You would be served just as well (if not better) using an Array formula

NOTE:
If your VLOOKUP values in B contain Error values and/or Column A contains Error values then you should rectify those first such that errors are not returned.

I've tried that before with no success. In the interest of simplicity, I said in my original post that the data are in columns A and B. However, there are two columns of other data between them (so the data I need to work with are in columns A and D). Do the data have to be in contiguous columns for the array formula to work?

Upvote 0
No, as the long as the ranges are of equal dimension (ie same no. of rows) there is no problem, adjust the ranges as required but remember to commit the formula as an Array once you've completed your edit with CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER.

Upvote 0
No, as the long as the ranges are of equal dimension (ie same no. of rows) there is no problem, adjust the ranges as required but remember to commit the formula as an Array once you've completed your edit with CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER.

Would the Array be affected by blank cells? The data in both columns is added to daily, so I just selected the range down to 10,000 cells to account for enough space. The cells which haven't been filled yet are blank. Would this cause a problem?

Upvote 0
No, blanks won't affect result.

You may want to think about using Dynamic Named Ranges: http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

I should have read your initial advice more closely. The column with the VLOOKUP results contained several "#N/A" errors, since part of the data upon which it was relying had not yet been entered (as this is a added to daily). I used this tip to get rid of the #N/A errors, and now your array solutions works perfectly.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back