Referenceing a cell value in a formula

deanfran

Board Regular
I think this is a simple one, and I have seen the solution here before, but I have been unable to search it out.
Here is what I have
1. Have a COUNT value in a cell (counted the number of rows with values in them).
2. A formula that needs this value (sums another set of values in another column that has the same number of rows).

Example: the COUNT value is 12, and is located in cell G5. For simplicity sake I have a formula in cell I5 SUM(F1:F12). Instead of directly referencing F12, I want the formula to be SUM(F1:F(G5)).

Is this possible?

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Perfect. Thank you very much. I have asked this before, but is there any type of quick reference guide to things like this? I have a couple Excel books, and a VBA book, but none of them reference this.

Upvote 0
Perfect. Thank you very much. I have asked this before, but is there any type of quick reference guide to things like this? I have a couple Excel books, and a VBA book, but none of them reference this.

I must admit I haven't seen this particular way of referencing in books (maybe because I am looking in the worng books though!). This style I learned on this forum (and others like it) a while ago. Always in the past I've considered this forum to be my "quick reference" if I have a problem.

Upvote 0
"I must admit I haven't seen this particular way of referencing in books (maybe because I am looking in the worng books though!). This style I learned on this forum (and others like it) a while ago. Always in the past I've considered this forum to be my "quick reference" if I have a problem. "

Amen to that!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back