Referencing a cell containing a reference formula

hsandeep

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Thanks to this forum through which I got help & now in my workbook, in Sheet1, in cell address F9, I am able to fill a value present on Sheet2’s cell address M17 using ‘indirect’ function instead of a simple Excel function like F9’=Sheet2!M17’.
In Sheet3, cell H6 I want to do FURTHER REFERENCING such that F the formula needed in H6 should be able to evaluate the cell address to which the formula in Sheet1’s F9 is pointing to (i.e. Sheet2!M17) & then go RIGHT (of Sheet2!M17) by 5 columns & DOWN (of Sheet2!M17) by 4 rows & fill the value of the cell. It would be like instead of directly punching in H6’=Sheet2!R21’, the formula in cell H6 should do this.
Please note: the source cell contains a value which is either numerical or alphabet/(s) or alphanumerical or ‘blank’. The formula should fill the values in case-sensitive form if the sourced value is alphabet/(s) or alphanumerical. For a ‘blank’, the output cell should show a ‘blank’ & not ‘0’ (zero).
What formula should be filled in H6?
I am using Excel 2003 & it runs under Excel 2007 in “compatibility mode”.
Thanks in advance.
hsandeep

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Based on your other post the formula would be:

=OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&$B$3&"'!"&F$4&$C9),4,5)

Note that the OFFSET function is also volatile.

Upvote 0
Thanks Andrew for your reply,
Sheet1:
B3=Sheet2, F4=M, C9=17, F9=Old Formula of previous post (F9 shows = 98.129)
Sheet2:
M17=98.129, R21=1ABcd
Sheet3:
H6=NEW FORMULA?
Result: H6=1ABcd
You may ask me any of your queries, Andrew.
hsandeep

Upvote 0
Andrew,
Can the formula be made such that F it looks at the cell contents of Sheet1’s F9 ONLY to arrive at that the conclusion that the source cell is Sheet2’s M17 and use 4 & 5 for going columns Right & rows Down to arrive at the final source cell address as Sheet2’s R21?
The formula is to be filled in Sheet3’s H6.
Your latest formula is looking at 3 cell contents in Sheet1 (B3, F4 & C9) and uses 4 & 5 to draw conclusion that the final source cell is Sheet2’s R21.
Please re-build the formula, Andrew.
hsandeep

Upvote 0
Andrew,
OK, I'll accept your verdict if that is so. But I hope you have understood my requirement. I thought we can do a sort of 'double referencing' a cell in Excel.
Comments please.
hsandeep

Upvote 0
Andrew,
My workbook has lot of worksheets, source cells are in Sheet2 & destination cells are in Sheet3. For referencing a cell’s value, I had been struggling using the most simple function like ‘=Sheet2!R21’ in Sheet3’s H6 & many more cells in Sheet3. For this, like a novice, I fill ‘=Sheet2!R21’ in Sheet3’s H6. Similar formulas are filled in multiple cells of Sheet3 & this count is nearly 60-70 numbers approximately, every day, which kills my concentration & makes my mind numb. Even the chance of human error is high.
With your help (given in my earlier post), through a formula in Sheet1’s F9, instead of using ‘=Sheet2!M17’, I am able to fill the value of Sheet2’s M17 (by referencing B3, F4 & C9 in Sheet1). Currently, in Sheet3, I locate cells & fill formulas in it by taking guidance using headers (headings like ‘SHEET2_R’, ‘SHEET2_S’, etc……………. ).
Can a formula of a cell (cell#1) be diagnosed by a 2<SUP>nd</SUP> formula in another cell (cell#3) so that it is diagnosed that the cell#1 is referring to a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> cell (cell#2) by <sheetname>!<cell_address>? Using this diagnosis, can we refer to the intermediate cell#2 from cell#3 by indirectly referring to cell#1 & then catch the final cell#4. I don’t know whether we can do this in Excel or not even if the formula remains long or a kind of UDF but without VBA.
cell#1 = Sheet1’s F9 (you had build a formula for this cell)
cell#2 = Sheet2’s M17 (1<SUP>st</SUP> source cell, intermediate cell)
cell#3 = Sheet3’s H6 (formula NEEDED in this cell)
cell#4 = Sheet2’s R21 (Final source cell, 5 columns right & 4 rows down from 1<SUP>st</SUP> source cell)
hsandeep

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back