Referencing a password protected sheet while keeping the password secret

Flash604

I have a workbook that will sit in a folder that anyone in the company can access and which needs to be modified by supervisors, let's call it ProductionWB.

Management is able to pull a report from our timecard system that has everyone's raw data in it, let's call it TimecardWB.

I need to have ProductionWB pull some of the data from TimecardWB, which I have working just fine using SumProduct calls. Some of the other data in TimecardWB would be considered private and thus TimecardWB need to be password protected to prevent it being opened by anyone but management. This, of course, means that Production WB asks the use for the password to TimecardWB, but the users need to be prevented from ever knowing that password.

I've tried various VBA solutions I found in this forum to try and have it silently update ProductionWB when it's opened. If I can get them working I'd then password protect the VBA code so the TimecardWB password cannot be viewed. None of the solutions I've found on this forum seem to work, perhaps they all predate Office 2016.

Can anyone suggest a solution that would allow the TimecardWB to be password protected?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
You’d be better having the timeCard workbook export the sanitised data to a third workbook and the production wb look at thaf

Upvote 0
I had thought of that, but in the end didn't see how it would prevent someone from accessing the original file; unless you're suggesting that the copy and paste the values from the third workbook into the ProductionWB whenever a new TimecardWB is produced.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back