Referencing Cell Values in Another Worksheet

jimp823

Hi,

I have data spread across several worksheets. When I change the data in the Master spreadsheet I would like it to update data in the other worksheets. For example, when I update a sale in the Master spreadsheet from Pending to Sold, I would like to also update in the relative sheets.

When I try to create a link from the Master spreadsheet to one of the related spreadsheets by pasting a hyperlink (for example, the formula for the cell in the related spreadsheet would be "='[Master Spreadsheet]Sheet A'!$E$10"), the cell references the cell location in the Master spreadsheet at E10.

However, I'm finding that in the relative sheets, the cells reference the specific cell location in the Master sheet (E10), rather than being tied to the data the in the Master sheet. Therefore, if I sort column E in the Master spreadsheet, the value in E10 may have moved to E40, but the relative spreadsheet is now showing the new data that has move into E10, while I would like it to still show the value that has moved to E40.

How would I accomplish this?

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi Jim
Here is an idea: You need an unique id for the row, so instead of ='[Master Spreadsheet]Sheet A'!$E$10")
You would write =vlookup(a2,'[Master Spreadsheet]Sheet A'!$A:$E,5,0)
Where column A has the unique row id in both sheets
If you change or sort rows in master sheet or slave sheet the results will always be the same
I hope this helps
Cheers
Sergio

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back