Referencing Cells in Embedded MS Excel files

lewisfiecke

I am using Win7, MS Xcel 2007.

I currently have a template for doing cost calculations for products. I am trying to have one summary Xcel file with multiple embedded Xcel files, the embedded files being the calculator mentioned above.

My goal is: A summary file would contain multiple embedded (not linked) Xcel files. The summary file would update if one of the embedded calculator files are modified. I wish to use embedded files for ease of sharing and moving the files when needed, and because links tend to break over time.

I can open the embedded object, then in the Summary file, I type "=" and select the cell in my embedded object. The value shows up in the summary, and the formula reads "='[Worksheet in Embedded Test]Cost Overview'!$C$8"

The problem I have is: When I try to have another formula tied to a value in another embedded file, I get the exact same formula. So when I update embedded file 2, the value that was linked to embedded file 1 changes to that in embedded file 2. There is no distinction between embedded objects in the formula bar. However, he object numbers are different, and I can select the objects by number in a macro, I do not know how to use this to my advantage in a simple formula.

I have tried using different named ranges in the different embedded files, but this simply results in an "#NAME?" error.

I've started down the macro path, but I'm having some difficulty accessing the embedded objects with a macro. This is less desired, since it's more work.

Any tips, suggestions, or other forms of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back