Referencing Question

KyleD

I have been working on table in excel for the purposes of analyzing stocks, and have run into an issue that should be fairly straight forward. I am trying to take a string of text and compare it to a stock symbol. If the symbol is found in the string I would like it to populate the first column of my table.

Table 1

JAZZ179.73
DIS110.12
BA141.85
YHOO43.31

<tbody>
</tbody>

Table 2

JAZZ
JAZZ150717C00160000

<tbody>
</tbody>
JAZZ150717C00195000

<tbody>
</tbody>
DIS150717C00060000

<tbody>
</tbody>
BA150717C00120000

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Basically, I want to populate column A of Table 2 with the stock symbol found as part of the string in Column B. I have tried various references, but haven't gotten it to work properly. Alternatively, if there is a way to simply have a formula in Column A remove all the numbers and the letter C from the string in Column B and leave the remaining letters that would work as well. Any help would be much appreciated! The difficulty I have found is the varying length of the stock symbol in Column B complicates the process of simply taking the first 4 characters in the Column to populate Column A.

Thanks for any help!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Formula?
Code:
=IF(B2>"",LEFT(B2, FIND("C", B2, 1) - 7),"")
Place this in column A of the first row of data, change the B2 above to the correct row number, then drag down as far as needed. If no data is in column B then column A will appear to be blank.

Upvote 0
If the position of the letter C in the string can be variable this UDF will still extract the symbol. I've assumed the symbol is always followed by a number.
Excel Workbook
AB
1JAZZJAZZ150717C00160000
2JAZZJAZZ150717C00195000
3DISDIS150717C00060000
4BABA150717C00120000
Sheet3

Code:
Function ExtractTicker(S As String)
With CreateObject("VBScript.Regexp")
    .Global = True
    .ignorecase = True
    .Pattern = "[A-Z]+(?=\d)"
    If .test(S) Then
        ExtractTicker = .Execute(S)(0)
    Else
        ExtractTicker = CVErr(xlErrNA)
    End If
End With
End Function
To install the UDF:
1. With your workbook active press Alt and F11 keys. This will open the VBE window.
2. In the project tree on the left of the VBE window, find your project and click on it.
3. On the VBE menu: Insert>Module
4. Copy the code from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
5. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
6. Press Alt+F8 keys to run the code
7. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.
8. Enter the function like a worksheet function as in the example above for cell A1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back