Refresh from Access without locking Access

uwlchemist

I have a number of template workbooks that all connect to one database to refresh certain information. I use a refresh all command in the on open event of the workbook. The issue I am having is that when any of these workbooks are open, it locks the access database (creates the .laccdb file) making it so that I cannot make structural changes to the database. Is there a way to refresh the data from the database, and then release the database so it can be opened exclusively?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
rorya,

The thread you pointed me to actually didn't solve my problem, but I got around it a different way. What I did was creat another workbook that connects to the database, and refreshes all data. Now, the workbooks I had before will connect to the "Database Connection" workbook to get their data, not to the actual database. It will be the same data, just gotten indirectly. I can open the Connection file on open of the workbooks, refresh the connection file, close the connection file, and the database will then be available to be opened exclusively. It is a bit of a round-about method, but it works so far. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back