Refresh Microsoft Excel File (on OneDrive) with On Premises SQL Server Data Connection

GerryRYAN

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have an Microsoft Excel File stored on OneDrive.

The Excel File has a Data Connection to an SQL Server Database.

I stored the Excel File on OneDrive as some of the excel file users are not on the Network that the SQL Server is on.

I want to refresh the excel spreadsheet on opening the file to get the latest data from the SQL database.

However, unless the user is in the same network as the SQL Server Database, on refresh, an error message says that cannot get the data.

Is there a way to make this work? without VBA etc

Note: Remote users currently access the SQL Server Database Business Application via a VPN.

I also believe that if I use Power BI, and Gateway it would work, but the Company just wants Excel and OneDrive, and also the excel file is also a data input file.

Below is a conceptual picture of the requirement.
Refresh Question.jpg

Thank you for any assistance.

Gerry

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Not too sure this is the best place for this question. Maybe the Microsoft forums.

Having a similar issue at the moment trying to get past the Gateway and BI to pull from SQL. Company also refuses to use a Gateway.

Would this not work if they were on the VPN when refreshing? Otherwise you'll somehow need to pass the credentials through for the users to be recognised by the Server

Upvote 0
Not too sure this is the best place for this question. Maybe the Microsoft forums.

Having a similar issue at the moment trying to get past the Gateway and BI to pull from SQL. Company also refuses to use a Gateway.

Would this not work if they were on the VPN when refreshing? Otherwise you'll somehow need to pass the credentials through for the users to be recognised by the Server

Hi Thanks for your reply, .. haha yes its on the MS forum too but no replies.

Did you solve your similar issue?

At the moment, they have no VPN ... should it work if they have?

For your second point regarding credential ... not sure what you mean, sorry

If you have a few minutes, maybe you can elaborate your response in more detail ... would greatly appreciate.

Cheers
Gerry

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back