Refresh On Open - But allow time to cancel macro

johnny51981

I have a workbook that I need to run in the later hours to have ready in the morning, due to its lengthy refresh time.

The Scheduled Task is set up and tested with success.
The VBA to run the needed macros on open is set up and tested, also successfully.

Now, what I am trying to figure out is to allow for updating of the workbook's structure/criteria whenever needed, but giving myself or other users the ability to cancel the lengthy refresh.

Would someone be able to assist in providing the VBA on how to allow for a MsgBox to appear with any kind of Yes/No that will cancel the procedure if No is selected, but if nothing is selected within a minute and a half, then it defaults to Yes and then initiates the lengthy refresh?

Here is the MsgBox VBA that I have as of now:
VBA Code:
Sub MsgBoxBeforeRunning()

Dim answer As Integer

answer = MsgBox("Would you like to continue with the data refresh?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)
    If answer = vbNo Then
    Exit Sub

Else
    Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("0:01:30"))
    Exit Sub

End If

End Sub

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Wait will pause everything. Not as useful as .OnTime like this:
Application.OnTime Now() + TimeValue("00:00:01"), "ContinueRunning", , Schedule:=True

Also you can use DOEvents to let the system finish needed tasks and process mouse clicks and keyboard presses. If you create a STOP button that changes a public value from False to True and use DOEvents in your loops, you can check if the macro needs to stop. In a standard module:
Public StopThis as boolean

For the button code
VBA Code:
Private Sub StopThis_btn_Click()

StopThis = True

End Sub

Does that help?

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response, @Jeffrey Mahoney . But would you mind dumbing it down for me? I'm not sure how to do the Public StopThis as Boolean, even after doing some additional searching after reading what you had to say, its not sticking for me.

Upvote 0
Ok. Let's say you have a macro with a FOR loop and it runs for a long time. Sometimes you need to stop it because of one reason or another. You would need to create a public variable and a button to change that public variable. See below for how I created the button. After creating the button, make sure design mode is on and double click the button. This will take you to VBA in the SHEET module for that sheet. Add the button code I gave you above. Now create a Standard Module if you don't already have one by Right Clicking on the Project or workbook and choosing Insert - Module. Now add the public variable like I did in the snipit below. A Boolean variable accepts either TRUE or FALSE. In your macro and inside the loop, add a line that checks the public variable to see if you want to stop. You need to put DoEvents ahead of the test so it can allow the button click to be processed. I added code so that the test wouldn't only test every 1,000 iterations so it would get slowed down too much.

VBA Code:
Sub LongRunningMacro()

Dim X As Long
  Dim Y As Double

StopThis = False  'Make sure to set this before starting in case you stopped this previously

For X = 1 To 2123456789
    Y = Sqr(2123456789 - X)

If X Mod 1000 = 0 Then               'Test every 1000 lines
      DoEvents
      Debug.Print Y
      If StopThis = True Then Exit Sub    '
    End If

Next X

End Sub

1652291645390.png

1652291349039.png

Upvote 0
Thank you @Jeffrey Mahoney ! I got the Public StopThis as Boolean in the Module, I appreciate the example! I can handle the button creation no problem. But still struggling on where to place things in my VBA.

Here is what I have, and being that I have this set up to run at a specific time (using Task Scheduler), the VBA is in the ThisWorkbook object. Could you have a once over to see where I might be able to place the StopThis? Go easy on me....I'm still very much a novice in my VBA skills.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    DoEvents
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Settings").Select
    DoEvents
    Call OnOpen
End Sub
Sub OnOpen()

StopThis = False  'Make sure to set this before starting in case you stopped this previously
    DoEvents
    Call OpenQueriesPane
    Call Calculator_StartTime
    Call Refresh_Queries
    Call ExportCSV
    Call CloseExcel
    If StopThis = True Then Exit Sub    '

End Sub
Sub CancelRefresh()
    If StopThis = True Then Exit Sub '

End Sub
Sub OpenQueriesPane()
    Application.CommandBars("Queries and Connections").Visible = True
    Application.CommandBars("Queries and Connections").Width = 700 'Change width as suits.
    DoEvents
End Sub
Sub Refresh_Queries()

ActiveWorkbook.RefreshAll
    Call Calculator_StopTime

End Sub
Sub CloseExcel()
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    Application.Quit
End Sub
Sub Calculator_StartTime()
    Range("D3") = Format(Now, "hh:mm am/pm")
End Sub
Sub Calculator_StopTime()
    Range("D4") = Format(Now, "hh:mm am/pm")
End Sub
Sub ExportCSV()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

ChDir ThisWorkbook.Path

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("NTP - All Info").Copy
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="Charter NTP Info.CSV", FileFormat:=xlCSV, CreateBackup:=False
    ActiveWorkbook.Close
End Sub

Upvote 0
Here's how I would do it. The ONTIME command waits 10 seconds in the background before calling the OnOpen SUB to give the user time to click the "Stop Macro" button. I put the StopThis tests in between each of the SUBS you are calling in case the user presses the button in between each.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Settings").Select
    DoEvents
    Application.OnTime Now() + TimeValue("00:00:10"), "OnOpen", , Schedule:=True  'Wait ten seconds then run macro

End Sub
Sub OnOpen()

DoEvents
    If StopThis = True Then Exit Sub
    Call OpenQueriesPane
    DoEvents
    Call Calculator_StartTime
    DoEvents
    Call Refresh_Queries
    DoEvents
    Call ExportCSV
    DoEvents
    Call CloseExcel

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Glad I could help. If that is all, please mark my last post as the solution.

You already did! hehe

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back