Refresh paused

Martinpetersson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an excel document located in my one drive.

It is shared to several users.

It collects data from an obdc source and some other query connections.

My problem is following:

I’ve got an yellow error message bar saying:

"More than one person is editing, so 'Refresh data when opening' and 'Refresh every...' were paused"

Why?

It works perfectly fine to manually click “refresh all” but it won’t refresh automatically..

I’ve been reading some threads about this but cant find a solution to make it automatically refresh.

My settings is to refresh every ten minutes but it won’t do so. Some users suggested to uncheck “automatically refresh”in pivot table options but I don’t have any pivot table in my excel sheet.

Please any suggestions how to workaround this.
And hopefully not by using VBA

Thanks /Martin

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
I would never allow editing of a file over OneDrive. IMO, you are just asking for corruption of the file as data packets are pushed/pulled. At least that's what most seasoned Access users think wrt database files and I don't see why a workbook would be any different. OD is meant for download/modify/upload of files.

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks for input.

we mostly use this document as a dashboard in our factory - but sometimes we want to put in changes from different locations.

Do you have any suggestions for a workaround anyway?

I'm consider giving the other users read-only access.
Then it might still update automatically but they can't change anything.
do you think that will work?

Then they have to go to the main computer to make changes and the other computers will only show live-data.

Upvote 0
This isn't my area of expertise and I can't say if your suggestion would be satisfactory as I have no idea of what the process is. If you have users who are not on the same LAN then you could look at Remote Desktop Services (formerly Terminal Services) or Citrix as a starting point. Could also research whether or not it is safe to share Excel files in that manner. It is not safe to do so with Access. Unfortunately I cannot explain why you have the read/write conflict message. All I can do is caution you about editing data without actually downloading the file onto a pc and then uploading - which isn't conducive to a multi user situation even if all are on the same LAN. Possibly SharePoint is an option since you can restrict opening a file using the CanCheckOut property of a workbook.
Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back