Regarding Autofilter....

zanoman

Board Regular
Is there a way to have a cell count how many items i have in a collumn when im using a certain sort order from the Autofilter function?

Example;

I have 100 cells in a collumn containing text. 20 of the cells are the same, lets say "Alfred" Is it possible to have a cell counting how many "Alfreds" i have when i use the Autofilter and pushing Alfred?

And how come i cant have a blank row in between two rows where i want to use Autofilter?

Eric

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
hi!
Try using countif() function. this does not distinguish if the cell is hidden or not
Code:
=countif(a:A,"alfred")

where the names are in column A.

Upvote 0
Zanoman,

look at the subtotal function... It does the same as sum, etc but only for displayed lines.

Rgds,
hh

Upvote 0
Hmm....

I typed in the example showing in the help file;

=SUBTOTAL(9,P4:P139)

But then i got an error; This formula contains an error. But if use this forumla;

=SUBTOTAL(9;P4:P139)

it says "0" always, no matter what my Autofilter criteria are set to. Even though it displays 10 entries, it says "0".. How come?

Have in mind that its "text", not numbers in the cells.

Eric

Upvote 0
The code 9 at the start of your function gives you a sum not a count. Change the 9 to a 2, which specifies count. This still won't work for text items though. How about adding a number to each row 1,2,3, etc and refering to that as your count criteria.

Upvote 0
I found a solution... Beacause i have both numbers and text it only counts the numeric cells. But thats not a problem, because when you set the Autofilter on, you can only filter on the rows at a time. So i can set the;

=SUBTOTAL(2;R4:R139) in a row where i have numeric cells, and then just link to this cell from another cell! :)

Eric

OH; Can i somehow get the formula; =SUBTOTAL(2;R4:R139)?? to count numeric entrie with ?? inside? For example; I have some cells like this;

2??
2??

Can i get the formula to include the cells with the ?? behind??

Upvote 0
Not sure why you use a ; syntax should be a comma but not sure if it makes any diff.

If you have a list of numeric values you can filter yout list using "custom" and set two criteria, one of which would be "contains" ??

As long as the subtotal formula refers to the numeric column, it will work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back