Regional settings

zzzamo

I have got a problem that has given me a really hard time for many months.

I'm using the formula '=Text(Today(),"[$-409]mmmm-aa")' to retrieve today's date as a string, expressing the whole month and a two-digit number in English. If you see I'm using "aa" since in my regional language "aa" is the code for a two-digit year (año), and it works perfectly on all our computers down here in Mexico, but the problem is when i send an archive to someone that is residing on the US and have a regional formatting in english. It expresses the date as 'January-aa' since it does not recoginze the "aa" as the code for a two-digit year, since the code according to the english regional formatting is "yy".

I can't change the format settings to "yy", because if do so, on all the local computers here in mexico will express the date as 'January-yy'

How can I make this formula work without taking in consideration the local regional setting of the PC?

Best regards from Mexico.
EZF

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
If you're willing to settle for a hack instead of a solution,

=TEXT(TODAY(), "[$-409]mmmm-") & TEXT(MOD(YEAR(TODAY()), 100), "00")

Upvote 0
If you are up to using an UDF (user defined function), then this should do what you want...

Code:
Function DateYear(Optional DateIn As Date) As String
  If DateIn = 0 Then DateIn = Date
  DateYear = Format(DateIn, String(4, Application.International(xlMonthCode)) & "-" & String(2, Application.International(xlYearCode)))
End Function
To use it, you would do this...

=DateYear()

to get today's date formatted as MonthName (note, no argument) or to get a particular date formatted that way...

=DateYear(A1)

where A1 contains a real Excel date or, alternately, when specifying the date as text...

=DateYear("4/29/2012")

If you are new to UDFs, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. Go back to any worksheet and use DateYear as indicated above.

Upvote 0
thanks shg, your formula woks perfectly, it makes the formula more complicated to audit thought, but works good.

Rick Rothstein, I thought about a UDF formula before, but since this archive is send to a client, is better not to include VBA, since most people, that are not used to excel, have a great tendency to ignore the warning bar telling you that you need to enable some content.

I was thinking more in a solution like changing the aa/yy value to its numeric form, for example: FALSE=0 and TRUE=1, knowing this can help you to force a Boolean input to become a numeric formula like this '=TRUE+1' equals to 2 and viceversa '=IF(1,"Yes","No")' equals "Yes"

Either way thanks for your suggestions both of you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back