Relative rather than absolute cell references in VBA

ChristineJ

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
In my worksheet cell P3 contains the text value ID. I will have many other similar worksheets where ID appears in row 3, but not necessarily in column P. The value ID appears only once in the entire worksheet.

I pulled out three snippets of code (out of many) from a macro.

1. ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("P4").Value & "'"

2. Select Case InfoBox.Popup("Take " & Range("Q4").Value - 1 & " of

3. Range("O19:O23").Select

What I would like for #1 above is instead of "P4" being typed in above, for it to locate the cell where ID is in the worksheet and automatically set the cell address to the same column ID is in, row 4.

For#2 above, instead of "Q4" being typed in above, it would locate the cell where ID is in the worksheet and automatically set the cell address to one column to the right, row 4.

Similarly, for #3 above, instead of "O19" and "O23" being typed in, it would locate the cell where ID is in the worksheet and automatically set the cell address to one column to the left, rows 19 and 23 respectively.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
(Untested) Something like this should work...

1) MsgBox ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Rows(4).Find("ID", , xlValues, xlWhole).Value & "'"

2) Select Case InfoBox.Popup("Take " & Rows(4).Find("ID", , xlValues, xlWhole).Offset(,1).Value - 1 & " of"

3) Intersect(Rows("19:23"), Rows(4).Find("ID", , xlValues, xlWhole).Offset(,-1).EntireColumn)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm trying your code for #1. If I include the MsgBox, I get a syntax error. If I don't, the error is Object variable or With block variable not set. I'm not if taking the code out of context matters, so here is the full line.

sSQL = "SELECT * FROM Exercise1 WHERE [ID] ='" & ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("P4").Value & "' AND [Take] = " & ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("C7").Value

Appreciate it so much and will try to learn from your feedback.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm trying your code for #1. If I include the MsgBox, I get a syntax error. If I don't, the error is Object variable or With block variable not set.

The only reason I can think of for that error is because the text ID is not in a cell by itself (no other text in the cell with it) anywhere on Row 4. I got the impression from your original message that at least one cell in the specified row would have ID in it... if that is not the case, perhaps I misunderstood what range you wanted to search.

Upvote 0
It is looking in row 3 for ID rather than row 4; that column letter should then be the column letter used in the cell value in row 4 that is in the code(my #1 above).

That said, when I change Rows(4) to Rows(3) in my #3 above, that one works PERFECTLY because you have the "19:23" in there. Very awesome.

I tried to tweak #1 but with no luck. Is there away to adjust #1?

Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
It is looking in row 3 for ID rather than row 4; that column letter should then be the column letter used in the cell value in row 4 that is in the code(my #1 above).
Okay, try this then...

ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Rows(3).Find("ID", , xlValues, xlWhole).Offset(1).Value & "'"

Upvote 0
Yes, sir, that is it! I figured out #2 based on the other two. I'm just learning this, so it still seems like magic when it works. I appreciate your sticking with me on this. All the best, C

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back