Remote Sub Program Execution

Mechanic

Board Regular
Please give me an example of the command I would use to execute a sub program in a separate open workbook.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I believe this is what you are looking for:

Code:
Sub test()
    Application.Run "Book5!test1"
End Sub

Upvote 0
This worked, however it ran the macro stored in the child and put the results in the parent (calling workbook) workbook. I wanted the child workbook to run data stored in the child and place the results in the child leaving the parent untouched. How do I do that?

Mechanic

Upvote 0
Without knowing your code, I don't know specifically what to do, but I will give you an example.

If you are accessing the code from "Book2" use the same Application.Run method. If the code you want to run is in "Book1" and you want it to run in "Book1" and in "Sheet1" and as an example the first step in the code you are trying to run is Range("A1").select you could change it to Application.Workbooks("Book1").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").select

Upvote 0
Mechanic said:
This worked, however it ran the macro stored in the child and put the results in the parent (calling workbook) workbook. I wanted the child workbook to run data stored in the child and place the results in the child leaving the parent untouched. How do I do that?

Mechanic

In the child workbook's macro, perhaps prefix your references with ThisWorkbook. or use --

With ThisWorkbook
' do stuff
End Wth

Upvote 0
I tried Ahnold's suggestion and it works. Unfortunately, it will be code intensive for all the references I have. Just_jon's suggestions seem like what I need but unfortunately I couldn't get the first one to work. Could you please offer some code so I can see if I'm doing it right. The second suggestion:

With ThisWorkbook
'do stuff
End With

is the most applicable to my work but it still ran in the calling (parent) workbook. For 'do stuff, I ran:

Range("A1").value=Range("A1").value+1

I see what the intent is, but it ran in the parent workbook, perhaps I used it incorrectly. Is there something else I should do to make it work?

Please forgive my rookie skills but, I', basically self taught.

I appreciate everyones help. Thank you,
Mechanic

Upvote 0
Mechanic said:
I tried Ahnold's suggestion and it works. Unfortunately, it will be code intensive for all the references I have. Just_jon's suggestions seem like what I need but unfortunately I couldn't get the first one to work. Could you please offer some code so I can see if I'm doing it right. The second suggestion:

With ThisWorkbook
'do stuff
End With

is the most applicable to my work but it still ran in the calling (parent) workbook. For 'do stuff, I ran:

Range("A1").value=Range("A1").value+1
I see what the intent is, but it ran in the parent workbook, perhaps I used it incorrectly. Is there something else I should do to make it work?

Please forgive my rookie skills but, I', basically self taught.

I appreciate everyones help. Thank you,
Mechanic

In a With block, reference ranges/cells prefixed with a "." as in --

With ThisWorkbook
.Range("A1")=.Range("A1")+1
End With

BTW, no need for the .value bit -- that's the default if nothing specified.

Does this help?

Upvote 0
I tried:

With ThisWorkbook
.Range("A1")=.Range("A1") +1
End With

and got the following error:

Complie Error:
Method or data member not found

Did I miss something?
Mechanic

Upvote 0
:oops:

Sorry --

With ThisWorkbook
.Worksheets("sheethere").Range("A1")=...

or

With ThisWorkbook
With Worksheets("sheethere")
.Range("A1")=...

or

With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("sheethere")
.Range("A1")=...

Need to have a sheet name reference there, too. :oops:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back