Removals when saving .xls files as .xlsm

asallwey

Board Regular
I am using Excel 2007, slowly moving from 2000. So saving .xls documents as .xlsm macro enable documents. I have 10+ sheets per workbook, and they contain vba macros, named ranges, and a good number of common functions like vlookup, etc.

The first time I try to save a document I will get the following.

A Pop-up:
Excel found unreadable content in ... . Click yes if I trust.

so I select later and the following is on screen,

A Pop-up:
Removed Records: Named range from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)
Click to view log file listing repairs: c:\users\owner\appdata\local\temp\error087880_01.xml

I can either Close or click the above log file.

so I go to the log file, and here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?>
-<recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
<logFileName>error087880_01.xml</logFileName>
<summary>Errors were detected in file 'C:\ahs\AHS_MS\Excel\Maintenance.xlsm'</summary>
-<removedRecords summary="Following is a list of removed records:">
<removedRecord>Removed Records: Named range from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)</removedRecord>
</removedRecords>
</recoveryLog>

I don't see a list of anything. I did a search of C: with file manager and it found the error file and opened it, all it contained is what's in the pop-up.

This has happen on several sheets so far. When I reopen one I find a few things might not work correctly, but no big issue, and some formatting has changed, again no big issue. But I keep wondering what is being removed?

Anyone have some direction on this? Am I getting blind and missing something obvious? Do I just keep ignoring the messages and deal with issues as I find them in the new .xlsm files?

Thanks!

Alex

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Google "Excel found unreadable content in" there is a lot of information on this as it crops up frequently when upgrading from old versions. Try some of the suggested workarounds. I personally would never trust a converted file I got those errors on. "...removed records" is deal-breaker.

Upvote 0
Solution
Ok, did the search. Wow, answers all over the place. Good thing all these updates a just plug & play with no worries!

I've kind of tried a couple of the suggestions, now I have a couple more to try the next time. I was hoping there was a quick "one size fits all" solution and that's why I came here first. My messages seem to always say a Range name was deleted. I've cross-checked data counts and they are good -- I know that doesn't mean some has been deleted.

Thanks for the idea, should have done the search first.

Alex

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back