Remove a custom toolbar from Excel 2007 Add in ribbon?

9tanstaafl9

I had tried to creat a custom toolbar (manually, not using VBA) for an Excel 2003 report. I have long since deleted the toolbar and gone to selecting my macros via right-click, but for some reason the toolbar still appears for people who are using my report in Excel 2007. I've seen this myself so I know they aren't crazy. Unfortunately, the toolbar doesn't work. How do delete it? I'm not overly familiar with Excel 2007.

I tried going to the Add-ins manager, but there is no reference to my toolbar there. I tried going back to my report in Excel 2003 and File/View/Toolbars/Customize so I could delete the toolbar, but again it isn't there for my report specifically or Excel in general.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Also, I just moved the report to a clean computer that never ran it before, and the toolbar is there too.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I'm bumping this thread because I have a very similar problem.

My personal.xls had a couple of toolbars that contained lots of custom icon buttons which I'd select from when assigning macros. In 2007 they're pretty much redundant but they appear in the Add-Ons section and I could really do with getting rid of them.

Upvote 0
FWIW, to remove them if you have 2003, you can choose View-Toolbars,Customize..., switch to the Toolbars tab, press the Attach button, and then remove them from the right hand list.

Upvote 0
CommandBars have .Builtin property and a .Delete method - see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa214205(office.11).aspx

Any use?

Thank you so much, and this solves the problem for the version of my report that was still in the old version of Excel. Unfortunately, I had made significant modifications since I was forced to upgrade to 2007 and all those versions have the stupid toolbar/addin.

It appears only in the Addin portion of the Ribbon. It does not appear at all if you go to the Add In Manager, so I can't deselect it. Does anybody have any suggestion as to how I could be rid of this?

Once anyobody loads my report even once, the Add In remains on their computer, even if they aren't using the report. I don't even have the original code that created the menu any more, so I don't know how I made this monstrosity. I had thought it was a straight non vba menu created, but now I'm starting to wonder... All I want to do is kill it from the ribbon, or make it appear in the manager so I an deselect it. God I hate the ribbon.

Upvote 0
FWIW, to remove them if you have 2003, you can choose View-Toolbars,Customize..., switch to the Toolbars tab, press the Attach button, and then remove them from the right hand list.

Just an FYI for anyone else who is reading this, I had tried the above step originally and it didn't work by itself. It would seem to work and then the toolbar would reappear. What finally did the trick was when I deleted my personal.xls and restarted along with doing the step above. And note that I had to it both from the report itself, and from Excel when the report was not open. Then I restarted the computer. And I emptied my trash just for good measure. (I'm not claiming to be an expert, just reporting my experience for anyone else suffering from this frustrating experience.)

But then when I opened the report in Excel 2007, the toolbar appeared in the ribbon. So I didn't win. But at least it was gone from 2003.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back