Remove Line Breaks

Nanogirl21

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have multiple rows of data in 1 cell. Some of the cells have line breaks without any data in that line. How do I remove these? I've tried clean, trim, and substitute but did not have any luck. These were combining all the text into 1 single row. I want to keep the line breaks and text separate. I only remove the line breaks that do not have any information on them.

CURRENT INFORMATIONWANTED RESULTS
(it looks like there is a line break on the first line, but it's not it's just the formatting on here)
(line break)
Apples
Bananas
Grapes
Apples
Bananas
Grapes
Green
(line break)
Yellow
Red
Green
Yellow
Red
(line break)
(line break)
Earth
Wind
Fire
Earth
Wind
Fire

Here is another macro that I think should work...
VBA Code:
Sub RemoveMultipleLineFeeds()
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  With Intersect([AK:AZ], ActiveSheet.UsedRange)
    .Replace " ", "|", xlPart, , , , False, False
    .Replace vbLf, " "
    .Value = Evaluate("IF(" & .Address & "="""","""",TRIM(" & .Address & "))")
    .Replace " ", vbLf
    .Replace "|", " "
  End With
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi, Peter
I tried your code, it didn't remove the line break if it is in the last line?
That's true. Since the OP didn't give any sample data like that I didn't worry about it. I'll amend the code if that turns out to be a possibility. :)

Upvote 0
.. or perhaps just this
VBA Code:
Sub Replace_Excess_Breaks_v2()
  With Range("AK1:AZ" & Columns("AK:AZ").Find(What:="*", LookIn:=xlValues, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row)
    .Value = Evaluate("substitute(substitute(trim(substitute(substitute(" & .Address & ","" "",""#""),char(10),"" "")),"" "",char(10)),""#"","" "")")
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
.. or perhaps just this
Rich (BB code):
Sub Replace_Excess_Breaks_v2()
  With Range("AK1:AZ" & Columns("AK:AZ").Find(What:="*", LookIn:=xlValues, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row)
    .Value = Evaluate("if(" & .Address & "="""","""",substitute(substitute(trim(substitute(substitute(" & .Address & ","" "",""#""),char(10),"" "")),"" "",char(10)),""#"","" ""))")
  End With
End Sub
I think you will need to add what I show in red above in order for your code to work correctly.

Upvote 0
Code worked for me as is with blank cells in the range.
When I ran it on my XL2010 setup, it replaced every cell in the specified range (blanks and non-blanks) with the same data, namely, the contents of the first cell in the range. The change I proposed fixed the problem. I think Microsoft unintentionally "fixed" the problem I am having on the newer versions of Excel when they added Dynamic Arrays, but that "fix" is not backward compatible with older versions of Excel.

Upvote 0
When I ran it on my XL2010 setup, it replaced every cell in the specified range (blanks and non-blanks) with the same data, namely, the contents of the first cell in the range. The change I proposed fixed the problem. I think Microsoft "fixed" the problem I am having on the newer versions of Excel when they added Dynamic Arrays, but it is not backward compatible with older versions of Excel.
OK, fair enough - that may be the case. Thanks for the added information. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back