Remove link, maintain text formatting

jez251

I have an Excel file, converted from Acrobat, that contains a cell containing some address text with formatting (different colored text, bold, size difference, etc.). The entire cell, however, is a link, so that if I simply click the cell my email client opens and wants to send an email to the hyperlinked email address. I don't want that cell to have that link, and if I right-click the cell and select remove hyperlink, all of the text formatting is removed from the cell and I am left with plain text. How can I remove the hyperlink from the cell and leave the formatted text?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-04 14.57.36.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-04 14.57.36.png
    162 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I was intrigued so tested what you said

With Excel 365 some (but not all) of the formatting disappears when the hyperlink is deleted
BUT if I edit the cell without changing anything (ie hit {F2} and {ENTER}), the formatting magically reappears

Strange :unsure:

Upvote 0
Thanks! Yes, some formatting returns, but not all. I also tried simply pressing F2, copying the formatted text, and no matter where I paste it (a different cell, Word, rich text editor, etc.) the formatting goes away.

Upvote 0
Are you open to using VBA to provide a workaround or (hopefully) an acceptable solution?

If so, are you wanting all the links to be disabled or only some

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am open to any solution so long as the text formatting is maintained and the cel;l does not have a hyperlink. There is only one hyperlink assigned to the cell, the other addresses in the cell are not hyperlinked to the entire cell.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Simple hack
Insert a transparent active-x label containing no text, eqivalent size to the cell
Place over cell and use VBA to maintain its position over the cell
The cell cannot be selected nor the hyperlink activated

Is that acceptable ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back