Remove Punctuation

MCosca

I have a data set of accounts which is about 20 columns and 800 rows (could be more or less depending on the month). The data is extracted from another program/server, then saved to excel. In column "C" I have business names. I am trying to identify which business names are for the same account. The issue I come across is typically punctuation. For example one of the accounts shows in row 43 as XYZ Tile Co. Inc. but in row 387 (the companion) shows XYZ Tile Co Inc (no punctuation). There are several other accounts which fall into this same area.

There is no other common field except for the account name, and the goal is to have the accounts related on the sheet. An alpha sort is very simple and does help a lot. However, there are other formulas I'm using in order make further analysis, which would function better if the punctuation was removed, or at least identical.
Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Quick and dirty: highlight your column "C" and select ctrl+H

Find what: . Enter the punctuation
Replace with: Leave Blank

Replace All

Upvote 0
not sure why I didn't think of that. thx, it may just work enough to get me the results I need

Upvote 0
You can also do this with Limited vs Ltd, Corp vs Corporation, "N " vs North, etc

I would generate a pivot table and identify what differences in naming conventions you have. Modify from there.

It would be better if your system generated a unique client/vendor account number; then the name would be irrelevant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back