Remove symbols only in certain segments of a string

Magic_Doctor

Board Regular
Hello,

Suppose that in my chain there is:
"phone.numbers: 365.23.55 & 222.55.47 & 06.32.55.88"
I would like to delete the "." only for phone numbers and replace them with a space, to get this:
"phone.numbers: 365 23 55 & 222 55 47 & 06 32 55 88"

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
How will it be possible to identify the end of the "phone.numbers" sub-string, e.g. can we rely on there being a particular heading? A particular separator? Or perhaps just an alpha (rather than numeric) character?

Can you illustrate with a few examples?

Upvote 0
Hello StephenCrump,

Good question !

Condition: All phone numbers must be separated by anything ("+", "and", "&", "Zorro", ...) except only one space.
Example: 023 56 99 32 & 52 33 77 88 zorro 5258 32 66 + 094 54 20 44
The end of the phone number will necessarily be the first character that is obviously neither a number nor a space.
I think maybe the best way to do this is through "VBScript.RegExp" (which I do not control at all); in short, try to develop the right "Pattern".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello jtakw,

I only put one example "for the example". The chain could very well have been: "Manu.la.macronade.lets.me know. that.I.can.reach.him.at 033.55.88.66 or 562.258.33 or 752.336.22 tomorrow.morning.before.the.sun.goes.down"
The chain is eminently variable.

Upvote 0
I'm more interested in whether there you have "." characters somewhere to the right of the Phone numbers sub-string that you don't want changed to " ".

I know the English/French separators are different, but perhaps something like:

phone.numbers: 365.23.55 & 222.55.47 & 06.32.55.88 ........... Amount1 $123.45, Amount2 $67.89

where I don't want the decimal points in the amounts to change.

EDIT: Didn't see your last post. Are we always changing "n.n.n" to "n n n", and "n.n.n.n" to "n n n n", where n is a variable number of digits 0-9?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bonjour StephenCrump,

A telephone number can be considered as a series of groups of numbers separated by a space or something else (".", "/", "|" ...) according to the habits of each, although in France, in fact, one usually separates groups of digits from a telephone number by a simple space (042 26 12 41).
I chose the example of the point (".") Because it is an integral part of a sentence. The dot ("."), like the comma (",") are important. If we decide to remove all points (or commas) from a string, it is not very complicated ("Replace ..."). On the other hand, assuming that the person who wrote the phone numbers has separated the groups of numbers by one point (it is his habit), if we replace all the points of the numbers by a space, necessarily the points that are outside the numbers will also be substituted by a space.

Upvote 0
Try this:

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"0.","0 "),"0.","1 "),"2.","2 "),"3.","3 "),"4.","4 "),"5.","5 "),"6.","6 "),"7.","7 "),"8.","8 "),"9.","9 ")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back