Removing Duplicates and transpose corresponding data

whcmelvin

Board Regular
Hi,

I would like to ask if it is possible to write a vba code that allows it to remove duplicates and Paste the corresponding values of the duplicates horizontally? Below is an visual example.

Original Excel Sheet
John
Swim
JohnRun
JohnBasketball
DavidFootball
DavidBadminton
DavidRun

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Sheet after the Execution of the VBA Code
JohnSwimmingRunningBasketball
DavidFootballBadmintonRunning

<tbody>
</tbody>

If excel VBA is able to do it, please guide me on how to write the code.

Thanks and regards
Melvin

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hi whcmelvin,

Hi,

I would like to ask if it is possible to write a vba code that allows it to remove duplicates and Paste the corresponding values of the duplicates horizontally?......

. Here Yous go…..

… I made a couple of minor modifications….

. 1) I include a Header row, as this is often a good idea with VBA and Excel Things….

. 2) Initially I do not delete your initial data. However the last line before the End of sub is a commented out line
Code:
[color=lightgreen]'ws.Columns("A:B").Delete[/color]

If you change this to
Code:
ws.Columns("A:B").Delete

. then you will get close to what you want.

. So I start with this:

Using Excel 2007
-
A
B
C
JohnSwim
JohnRun
JohnBasketball
DavidFootball
DavidBadminton
DavidRun
whcmelvin

…………………………………..

. then after running the code I give, you get this

Using Excel 2007
-
A
B
C
D
E
F
NameSportsNameSports
JohnSwimJohnSwimRunBasketball
JohnRunDavidFootballBadmintonRun
JohnBasketball
DavidFootball
DavidBadminton
DavidRun
whcmelvin

. here the code:

Code:
[color=blue]Sub[/color] Reorgwhcmelvin()

[color=lightgreen]'1)  Some Initial Object setting, variables and initial data capture too Array- usin VBA Array mehtod, minimising interaction with spreadsheet[/color]
[color=blue]Dim[/color] ws [color=blue]As[/color] Worksheet: [color=blue]Set[/color] ws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("whcmelvin") [color=lightgreen]'Give abreviation method, properies etc. of worksheets object obtained by typing .[/color]
[color=blue]Dim[/color] arrIn() [color=blue]As[/color] Variant: [color=blue]Let[/color] arrIn() = ws.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Value [color=lightgreen]'Dynamic Array for "Capture" of Spreadsheet, using the VBA allowed "one liner" to assign an Array to values of cells in a range. So must be a variant as it sees the Range object as it is assigned a collection[/color]
[color=blue]Dim[/color] arrOut() [color=blue]As[/color] [color=blue]String[/color] [color=lightgreen]'This is a non Dynamic array to have values asigned in a loop, so we can define it#s type. Here String ic conveniant for names and numbers.[/color]
[color=blue]ReDim[/color] arrOut(1 [color=blue]To[/color] (UBound(arrIn(), 1)) - 1, 1 [color=blue]To[/color] 1) [color=lightgreen]'Must give the output Array a size or we cannot use it later. For now, make it maximuum possible size it could be. Must use reDim as Dim only takes numbers, not variables[/color]

[color=lightgreen]'2)   Use Dictionary (Keys only ( var=.item  method  ) ) to get eunuch values (keys) of VlookUp Column A----------------------------------------[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'  For "Early binding"--requires library reference to MS Scripting Runtime - Tools>>References>>scrolldown and check the box next to Microsoft Scripting Runtime[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'  ..Or crashes at next line.....---[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'[color=blue]Dim[/color] dicLookupTable As Scripting.Dictionary 'Data held with a unique "Key"or Part Number.[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'Set dicLookupTable = New Scripting.Dictionary[/color]
[color=lightgreen]' The next two lines are an alternative called Late binding. (But note some Dictionary methods and properties[/color]
    [color=blue]Dim[/color] dicLookupTable [color=blue]As[/color] [color=blue]Object[/color]
    [color=blue]Set[/color] dicLookupTable = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
[color=lightgreen]' Late Binding is better when sharing files as I am here. Early Binding has the advantage that Excel intellisense[/color]
[color=lightgreen]' will then work for the Microsoft Scripüting Runtime stuff and give you suggestions after you type the .dot thing[/color]
    dicLookupTable.CompareMode = vbTextCompare [color=lightgreen]'Not quite sure wot this does yet[/color]

[color=blue]Dim[/color] runc [color=blue]As[/color] [color=blue]Long[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Loop Bound Variable (Count)  http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/803662-byte-backward-loop-4.html[/color]
 [color=lightgreen]'   The method =.Item() works in a nice way that allows us to make unique keys without assigning items    http://www.snb-vba.eu/VBA_Dictionary_en.html[/color]
 [color=lightgreen]'   -- Usually the method .Item() is used to assign an item of some unique key to a vaiable.  z = dicLookupTable.Item(x(i).  If the key does not exist then it is  made...convenient   ehh?--- ( and no value will be given to the variable )[/color]
    [color=blue]Dim[/color] z [color=blue]As[/color] [color=blue]Variant[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Subtle dimensioning reason... in method =.Item() z becomes empty "" "No value is given??" snb??  Post #12 http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1083899-copy-and-paste-entire-row-to-second-sheet-based-on-cell-value.html[/color]
        [color=blue]For[/color] runc = [color=blue]LBound[/color](arrIn()) + 1 [color=blue]To[/color] [color=blue]UBound[/color](arrIn()) [color=lightgreen]'Start looking down column at row 2 so as not to get the heading is first dic item[/color]
            z = dicLookupTable.Item(arrIn(runc, 1)) [color=lightgreen]'You will not see anything here: Post #7   http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1083899-copy-and-paste-entire-row-to-second-sheet-based-on-cell-value.html[/color]
        [color=blue]Next[/color] runc
    Dim Uniques() [color=blue]As[/color] Variant: [color=blue]Let[/color] Uniques() = dicLookupTable.keys [color=lightgreen]' The unique keys are put into a 1 Dimensional Dynamic array called zz. Probably again the variant is needed as it sees the Dictionarry object initially, the usual "one liner" type assignment[/color]
            [color=lightgreen]'    Dim rResults() As Variant: Let rResults() = dicLookupTable.Items() 'Extra line helpful to examine items in watch window... as dicLookupTable in watch window just the keys!! and a limited number thereof  http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/832103-using-microsoft-scripting-runtime-dictionary-store-then-retrieve-range-objects-2.html[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'End of Part 2 initial set up Of MRSD and use of keys to get unique values ---------------------[/color]

[color=lightgreen]'3)Put Unique names in Array for output ( could do that later in the main  loop, .. but in VBA Array things go quick so WTF )[/color]
[color=blue]ReDim[/color] arrOut(1 [color=blue]To[/color] (UBound(Uniques()) + 1), 1 [color=blue]To[/color] ([color=blue]UBound[/color](arrIn(), 1) - 1)) [color=lightgreen]'Must give the output Array a size or we cannot use it later. At this point we know it's rows", but not the columns..make it maximuum possible size it could be - if 1 person did everything. Must use re[color=blue]Dim[/color] as Dim only takes numbers, not variables[/color]
    [color=blue]For[/color] runc = [color=blue]LBound[/color](Uniques()) [color=blue]To[/color] [color=blue]UBound[/color](Uniques()) [color=lightgreen]'take each unique name "row"[/color]
    [color=blue]Let[/color] arrOut(runc + 1, 1) = Uniques(runc) [color=lightgreen]'Put in name in output Array..Note the +1, is because first indicie in Uniques array is made 0 by VBA[/color]

[color=lightgreen]'4) Main Looping to make Array for output..[/color]
Dim rws [color=blue]As[/color] [color=blue]Long[/color], cout [color=blue]As[/color] [color=blue]Long[/color] [color=lightgreen]' "Rows" of Input Array, and "columns" of output Array,[/color]
    [color=blue]For[/color] runc = [color=blue]LBound[/color](Uniques()) [color=blue]To[/color] [color=blue]UBound[/color](Uniques()) [color=lightgreen]'take each unique name "row"[/color]
    [color=blue]Let[/color] cout = 1 [color=lightgreen]'Set the "column" for any output to the Out Array as 1 (actually at Name "column")[/color]
        [color=blue]For[/color] rws = 2 [color=blue]To[/color] UBound(arrIn(), 1) [color=lightgreen]'go down input "row"[/color]
            [color=blue]If[/color] arrIn(rws, 1) = Uniques(runc) [color=blue]Then[/color] [color=lightgreen]'If the current name looking for is in column A, then[/color]
                [color=blue]Let[/color] cout = cout + 1 [color=lightgreen]'goto next empty column in Output Array and[/color]
                [color=blue]Let[/color] arrOut(runc + 1, cout) = arrIn(rws, 2) [color=lightgreen]'[/color]
            [color=blue]Else[/color] 'redundant code: have not found a List type yet
            [color=blue]End[/color] [color=blue]If[/color]
        [color=blue]Next[/color] rws

[color=lightgreen]'5) Output to  sheet ( and delete initial data )[/color]
[color=blue]Let[/color] ws.Range("A1").Resize(1, 4).Value = Array("Name", "Sports", "Name", "Sports") [color=lightgreen]'A typical step that looks cleverer then it is, I resize first cell to a range including all headings I want, and then VBA lets me assign the values in a (Heasding here)  Array to the cells in a simple = step[/color]
[color=blue]Let[/color] ws.Range("C2").Resize(UBound(arrOut(), 1), UBound(arrOut(), 2)).Value = arrOut() [color=lightgreen]'Similat to the above just convenient to resize to size of Arrray i am actually outputing ( Assuming there are more than one value of the Uniques then I output empty values also, but that is useful as it actually clears those cells in case they had any in from a last run where there were more in the output Array[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'ws.Columns("A:B").Delete[/color]
[color=blue]End[/color] [color=blue]Sub[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Reorgwhcmelvin()[/color]

………………………………..
. get back if you need any more help..
. let me know anyway how you get on..

. Alan

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back