Removing Leading apostrophe in excel formula solution.

Celticshadow

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello

May I ask forum if they could provide a formula to solve the below problem concerning leading apostrophe.

I download data from a horseracing site and part of it contains the horses form figures and some but not all contain an apostrophe before the first number as in the below examples.

'040
'0
'00
'U3P
'P17
'060

If I use control F, Find Replace, Replace ' Replace with then the result is that I lose the first zero so for example the '040 becomes 40 instead of 040. Can anyone suggest a formula to rid the apostrophe and leave the remaining three numbers. If I try to remove them manually I still get the same result with the zero disappearing, so any pointers or help in removing the offending apostrophe and leaving me with the three remaing numbers and/or figures would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
If you are looking for a manual method (like you were trying with Find/Replace) ..

1. If the column to the right is not vacant, insert a new column to the right
2. Select your column of data by clicking its heading label.
3. Data ribbon tab -> Text to Columns (in the Data Tools group) -> Delimited -> Next -> Clear all boxes but mark 'Other:' and put ' in the Other box -> Next -> In the Data Preview window at the bottom click in the second column then at the top of that dialog choose 'Text' -> Finish
4. With the original column still selected, press F5 -> Special ... -> Blanks -> OK
5. Right-click on any of the selected cells -> Delete... -> Shift cells left -> OK
Done

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prabhuk279

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back