Removing Macros

RichP

Board Regular
Hi, I hope someone can help me.
I've been working on a spreadsheet for months, and had initially recorded a macro to delete the contents of several cells on a page. I no longer need this, so I deleted it with the Macro dialog box, and then went into the VB screen and deleted the module. I saved the book, re-opened it, and it asks whether I want to enable the macros! It now also asks if I want to enable macros when I open any other book. I know that there are many posts about this, but none of the solutions posted have been able to solve this.
With all the books I open, in the VB screen, double clicking on "This Workbook", and looking under Workbook (not General) I get
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
End Sub
which I can't delete. Is this the culprit, or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks for your help,
R.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
If you've got that procedure in the ThisWorkbook code module then yes, that's the culprit.

Excel will show the dialog if any workbook or worksheet code module contains a procedure (even if it doesn't do anything). It will also show it if you have an empty standard module.

Have a look at this link. Near the bottom of the page is a section called Deleting All VBA code in a project.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.htm

Upvote 0
Dan,
it worked a treat - thanks for the link.
Out of curiosit now, if I go back to the VB screen, double click on a sheet, and look under Worksheet, there is code there:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

End Sub
If I save the document having looked at this (no typing, deleting, etc), the next time I open the book, it sees a macro. Can you tell me why this is? Excuse the dumb question, but I'm new to this VBA stuff.
Thanks again for your help,
R

Upvote 0
Hello,

It's not a dumb question. Basically, when you click on the Worksheet it allows you to create procedure templates for worksheet events. You can choose different events using the right hand drop down box :-

Activate, BeforeDoubleClick, BeforeRightClick, Calculate, Change, Deactivate, FollowHyperlink and SelectionChange.

The default procedure is SelectionChange and that is why it VBA creates a blank procedure.

The macro warning will show up if you have any procedures at all, even if they don't actually contain any code in between this:-

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

and this

End Sub

Hope that helps. Let me know if something's not clear.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back