removing numbers by value?

Johnb42

Hi. I have what I hope is an easy question. Let's say I have a series of numbers in cells in a row (or in a whole worksheet, for that matter), for instance, a typical cell might contain:

24, 1 2009

...and I only want to keep one type of number in that cell - like say a four-digit number (i.e. a year value like 2009 above) - and delete the rest. So that would be deleting every number in a range of 0-999, or alternately, every number where x<1000.

How can one do this?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Do a text to columns, delimited separators are commas and spaces. Hope that helps. Filter to remove contents.
Pete

Upvote 0
I'm happy to go with what you guys are suggesting, Pete and Ghrain, if only I knew what "do a text to columns" meant (I'm assuming, once I know that, I can find where to specify delimited separators, and where the Filter feature is). I apologize for my crippling levels of Excel retardation.

Upvote 0
I'm happy to go with what you guys are suggesting, Pete and Ghrain, if only I knew what "do a text to columns" meant (I'm assuming, once I know that, I can find where to specify delimited separators, and where the Filter feature is). I apologize for my crippling levels of Excel retardation.

Data Tab in the ribbon>Text To Columns> Select the Delimited Radio Button. The rest is fairly self explanatory.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back