Removing portions of text in excel

kdiala

I need help on removing sections of text out of a huge workbook I'm building. For example, it currently reads this in one of them (they all follow the same pattern):

• Examine: Access control policy; procedures addressing account management; security plan; system design documentation; system configuration settings and associated documentation; list of active system accounts and the name of the individual associated with each account; list of conditions for group and role membership; notifications or records of recently transferred, separated, or terminated employees; list of recently disabled system accounts along with the name of the individual associated with each account; access authorization records; account management compliance reviews; system monitoring records; system audit records; other relevant documents or records; list of devices and other systems authorized to connect to organizational systems.
• Interview: Personnel with account management responsibilities; system or network administrators; personnel with information security responsibilities.
• Test: Organizational processes account management on the system; mechanisms for implementing account management.

I need it to just have the bullet for examine and remove all the text related to the interview and test bullet points. So it would wind up like this-
• Examine: Access control policy; procedures addressing account management; security plan; system design documentation; system configuration settings and associated documentation; list of active system accounts and the name of the individual associated with each account; list of conditions for group and role membership; notifications or records of recently transferred, separated, or terminated employees; list of recently disabled system accounts along with the name of the individual associated with each account; access authorization records; account management compliance reviews; system monitoring records; system audit records; other relevant documents or records; list of devices and other systems authorized to connect to organizational systems.

Is there a way to avoid doing this manually? I've got 600+ rows and they all have varying comments and text lengths.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Hi there. I'm making a few assumptions here but if the complete text is in a single cell, and the Interview: keyword is present in all cells (you said they all follow the same pattern), then this formula will work for the contents of cell B12:
=LEFT(B12,FIND("• Interview:",B12)-2)

If ive misunderstood the structure of your data please add some more info and I'll try again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back