Rename a Column from "A" to "DepartmentName"

sjay1234

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I need to change my column names so that they are changed from "A", "B", "C" etc to "DepartmentName", "Email", "Phone"..

i have seen a youtube video but when i follow this, it does NOT work in Excel 2019.

Can anyone help as i need to do this and "Protect" the column names so that they cannot be changed.

thanks in advance!

Regards,
Samantha Kidd

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
What do you mean by change your column names?

Upvote 0
What do you mean by change your column names?

I mean to actually change the column names so at the moment, the name that i have is "A" or "B" and then on the next line, i have a heading like "DepartmentName". I want the "DepartmentName" to be that header.

Attachments

• changed column headers-smaller.png
    changed column headers-smaller.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
You can't change the column and row references. Columns are always letters, rows are always numbers.

However, you can create a table, and the name of the columns in the table will persist at the top of your screen when you scroll down through your data.
1594220731095.png

For instance, I've added by field names in Row 1 of my spreadsheet, and my data goes below. You can see my column names (A, B, C, D) up top. I hit Ctrl-T to create a table (and I gave it a meaningful name instead of "Table1".)

Now, when I scroll down the page, my field names at top (in dark blue) scroll up and replace the column names, like so:
1594220851436.png

Isn't this what you're trying to accomplish?

Upvote 0
What you've posted above looks to be a query in the query editor. That's not a regular spreadsheet. A query like that will get field names from what I explained above.

EDIT: Yep, since you've showed the video, that's exactly what it is.

What I explained above creates a table for you. What the video above explains is how to bring data in from another spreadsheet and put it into a table, which is the result of doing what I outlined above. Either way, they're both Excel tables. The query editor has the benefit of letting you connect to data sources (maybe not even your own) that change over time, or connect to large data sets and let you pull out only the little bit of data you need. Either way though, you're working with a table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As this is dealing with Power Query I'll move it to the correct forum.

Upvote 0
You can't change the column and row references. Columns are always letters, rows are always numbers.

However, you can create a table, and the name of the columns in the table will persist at the top of your screen when you scroll down through your data.
View attachment 17855
For instance, I've added by field names in Row 1 of my spreadsheet, and my data goes below. You can see my column names (A, B, C, D) up top. I hit Ctrl-T to create a table (and I gave it a meaningful name instead of "Table1".)

Now, when I scroll down the page, my field names at top (in dark blue) scroll up and replace the column names, like so:
View attachment 17857

Isn't this what you're trying to accomplish?

the reason that i want to do this is to have a listing where i am not allowed to change the column names.
Will i be stopped from doing this if i use the table? i thought not.
thats why i thought it would be best to have a A. B, C heading names as the actual column names that i need?

Attachments

• current headings in excel.png
    current headings in excel.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
You cannot change the column headers, they are either A,B,C or 1,2,3, depending on whether you are using A1 or R1C1 notation.

Upvote 0
header2header.png

Rich (BB code):
let
    Source = Table.Combine({Table2, Table1}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true])
in
    #"Promoted Headers"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back