Renaming a query

22strider

Hello,

How can I rename a query (not its shortcut)?

I've a query that is part of a 'Group' under 'Custom' category in Navigation pane. When I right click on the query I see option of renaming the shortcut. How can I rename the actual query (not only the shortcut)?

I am using MS Access2016.

Regards,
Rajesh

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
When I right click on the query in the Nav Pane it gives me the option to rename the query. I cannot replicate your issue.

Upvote 0
When I right click on the query in the Nav Pane it gives me the option to rename the query. I cannot replicate your issue.
Hello,
Thanks for your response.
The issue that I reported only appears for queries that I move to a group in Navigation Pane. Queries that remain as "Unassigned Objects" (not under any custom group) do not have this issue (right click shows option of renaming).
Also, the queries under the "groups" have icons of a shortcut (arrow besides the query icon).

Regards,

Upvote 0
I'm a bit dense here right now. I have never placed a query in any sort of group in the Nav pane. Help me to understand the purpose and rationale to do so. Without knowing that, however, can you remove the query from the group, change the name and then move the query back into the group?

Upvote 0
Solution
Have you tried copying it (and giving it your new desired name), and then deleting the original?
Just another thought on how you might accomplish your goal...

Upvote 0
I don't create custom groups either - not worth the effort IMO. When you drag an object into a group it creates a shortcut icon because you cannot create a copy of the object with the same name just to put it in a group. Nor should you want to. You have to re-select "All Access Objects" and rename the object itself. This will automatically update the shortcut icon name.

Upvote 0
I'm a bit dense here right now. I have never placed a query in any sort of group in the Nav pane. Help me to understand the purpose and rationale to do so. Without knowing that, however, can you remove the query from the group, change the name and then move the query back into the group?
Hello,

I understand it is bit silly. My database has inputs from variety of sources and overtime the number of queries has also grown. To manage that I ended up creating groups (not sure it is the best approach or not). After your message I dragged the query out from the groups, renamed and the added back to the group.

Regards,

Upvote 0
I don't create custom groups either - not worth the effort IMO. When you drag an object into a group it creates a shortcut icon because you cannot create a copy of the object with the same name just to put it in a group. Nor should you want to. You have to re-select "All Access Objects" and rename the object itself. This will automatically update the shortcut icon name.
Have you tried copying it (and giving it your new desired name), and then deleting the original?
Just another thought on how you might accomplish your goal...
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I ended up dragging it out of the group to rename it.

When creating
So issue has been solved?
Yes; and I just marked it resolved. Need to remember to do that.

Upvote 0
All you have to do is rename the object in the "All Access Objects" group as I said, but if you want to drag it back and forth, go for it. The "All" group is the real container AFAIK.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back