Renaming and hidding a sheet after taking value from a changing cell

2_nisia

Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have a drop down menu (in cell E6) with the following options: empty, apple, banana, pineapple. The menu is placed in a sheet called "Start".
It is already assigned that when the option is empty number 1 is assigned, for apples is 2, for bananas is 3 and for pineapple is 4. It takes these numbers from column F

In order to understand what option is chosen I have this codeline: Choice = Range("F" + Number).Value
where number is 6 (i need to state it like this because there are more drop down menus bellow E6)

Each option is unhiding a sheet that its used by the user, in order to enter some data. The sheet is called "Fruit:" + the name of the chosen fruit (Fruit:apple, Fruit:banana, Fruit:pineapple)

I would like to rename the "Fruit:x" sheet and make it hidden again, if the user decides to chose another option from the drop down menu, after he has already made a choice.

Number = 6

Dim Choice As Integer
Dim i As Integer

Choice = Range("F" + Number).Value

If Choice = 1 Then 'When you choose the empty cell'

If IsEmpty(Sheets("Start").Cells(Number, 7).Value) Then 'This is when there is not an existing tab'
'do nothing
Exit Sub

ElseIf Not IsEmpty(Sheets("Start").Cells(Number, 7).Value) Then 'There is an existing tab'
Msg = "There is already a choice made. Would you like to overwrite it?"
Ans = MsgBox(Msg, vbYesNo)

If Ans = vbYes Then

If i = 2 Then
Ark11.Name = "Fruit:apple"
Sheets(Fruit:apple).Activate
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(Fruit:apple).Visible = False 'Makes hidden sheet hidden

End If

If i = 3 Then
End If

If i = 4 Then
End If

Sheets("Start").Activate 'Return to front page
Sheets("Start").Range("G" + Number).ClearContents 'Deletes the name given for "anvendelse 1"
Exit Sub

ElseIf Ans = vbNo Then
Exit Sub

End If

End If

End If

If Choice = 2 Then 'When you choose apple'
End If

If Choice = 3 Then 'When you choose banana'
End If

If Choice = 4 Then 'When you choose pineapple'
End If

i = Choice

End If

End Sub

My problem is that the code doesnt not understand the i I have set. So it doesnt rename of hide the sheet "Fruit:x" when I make a new choice.
I placed the i = Choice in the bottom, so it can save the previous choice, and use it in case the user tries to overwrite it.

Is there any solution to this?
Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi 2_nisia,

as far as I know the colon is a sign that cannot be used for a sheetname. So
VBA Code:

should result in raising an error 1004.

You check the number from cell G6: how is that cell filled?

So only Start and the sheet with the fruit should stay visible if a fruit is chosen? These sheets are present in the workbook (so why would you need to rename them)?

Ciao,
Holger

Upvote 0
Hi 2_nisia,

as far as I know the colon is a sign that cannot be used for a sheetname. So
VBA Code:

should result in raising an error 1004.

You check the number from cell G6: how is that cell filled?

So only Start and the sheet with the fruit should stay visible if a fruit is chosen? These sheets are present in the workbook (so why would you need to rename them)?

Ciao,
Holger
Hey Holger,

My mistake; it shouldnt be colon. So lets say it is named instead: Fruit_apple, Fruit_banana, Fruit_pineapple

G6 is filled by asking the user for a name. So when the second option is chosen (meaning the apple, since the 1st option is blank), then a pop up message appears and the user can thus name G6 and also subsequently the sheet that will unhide e.g. red apples. So the sheet will be named "Fruit_red apples"

If the users first choice is apple, then the sheet Fruit_red apples appears. But if the user decides to changes his fruit to another fruit, or the blank cell, the Fruit_red apples sheet will still be there.
So I would like that in this case the sheet gets renamed back to Fruit_apple and it gets hidden.

That is because I have some code further down, that it will look for a hidden sheet with this exact name. So I dont want to mess up with the later code.

Hope my explanation was a bit more clear! :D

Upvote 0
Hi 2_nisia,

please explain what you want to do: use Data/Validation from cell E6 (all the time) or have DV only for one choice and work with names thereafter (that would mean that the sheets get copied and that a list of the newly named sheets must be saved anywhere). I can't make a plan dor any solid application from the information given up to now.

Ciao,
Holger

Upvote 0
Hi, 2_nisia,

G6 is filled by asking the user for a name.
Not in the code you supplied. You use a MessageBox which is used to display text, asking for information would mean to use an InputBox. And you would need to check for not allowed characters the user may have used.

The code supplied does not offer the opportunity to rename the sheet chosen in E6, any user would need to do so in the worksheet directly by typing in anything into the cell G6. So any change in that cell would need to make the original sheet visible, rename it in order to go on. And what should be done then?

Ciao,
Holger

Upvote 0
Hi Holger,

Sorry once more that I am not that clear. The code is too big, so I probably didnt include all the relevant information.

What I want to do is find the number in F6, before the user tries to change the fruit he chose, then save this number as an information inside i (the information that is saved is numerical and its either 1,2,3 or 4).
So then i have saved in i the previous choice and inside choice i have the new choice of the user.

Then I want to go and reset the sheet that was created for the previous choice.
So I am including three "if then".
If i=2 then the code will go find the sheet of apple, rename it and then hide it.
If i=3 does the same for banana
If i=4 does the same for pineapple

Then, since the sheet is renamed back to the original, I want the code to hide it.

This whole code up until now was only in case the second choice of the user was the blank space.

So the code will be repeated three more times; if the second choice of the user is apple, banana or pineapple (choice = 2 or 3 or 4)

The actual code I am writting is of a different content, so i used the fruits instead to make it a bit more understandable but perhaps it didnt work so well :P

1665685231265.png

dont know if its gonna help or complicate things more., but thats how it actually looks like.
Kontorbygning was the option of apple, banana, etc.
2 is the number assigned automatically to apple or kontorbygning in this case
and office is the user defined name.

Hope its a bit more clear and thanks a lot for all the help and effort!

Attachments

• 1665685164107.png
    1665685164107.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
Hi 2_nisia,

I must admit that I have made a lot of guesses on what I read in your post. Before I continue to work on this it's better to ask for a couple of things in order to get the information how your workbook looks like instead of me building a sample looking like I think your workbook may look like.

I put down the information in a workbook on OneDrive which holds the sheets mentioned and 3 additional sheets, one hoilding the information about the list which is used to fill the samples on Start, one with the information I have and where more information from my side is needed (sorry if questions already have been answered before) and the last being the text of this thread so far without code.

necessarySheetnamevisibleAddresswhatQuestionWhat I have doneNames
noAdminnot relevantA1:A4List for DV/Drop DownDatList
noAdminnot relevantB1:B4Numbers for entry DV
noAdminnot relevantA1:B4Range for VlookupDatRef
yesFruit_applefalseData used for apple
yesFruit_bananafalseData used for banana
yesFruit_pineapplefalseData used for pineapple
yesStarttrueE6Data/ValidationWhat did you use? Data/Validation, Formula Combobox, ActiveX ComboBox?I used Data/Validation from the List. This might have been a wrong guess and needs information prior to taking any further steps
yesStarttrueE6Please give information about what you have used for displaying E6, if you have used a List to fill or entered the entries by hand
yesStarttrueF6whatever assigned meansIt is already assigned that… How?Entered a formula with Vlookup for Value from E6 for the number
yesStarttrueF6Information about E6 should clarify how the assignment is done
yesStarttrueE6Would you like a change in E6 trigger the event of making the sheet visible?
yesStarttrueE6Making original visibleNo problem as long as no renaimg has taken place
yesStarttrueE6At which point do you want to allow the user to rename the sheet: directly after making the original sheet visible? Or have another procedure to let the user decide on that later on?
yesStarttrueE6Making another choiceSo there will always be just one sheet which name will be changed?
yesStarttrueE6What about the changes/choices the user has done to the renamed sheet? Renaming and hiding the sheet will not reset the sheet to it's original status - keep the changes?

Ciao,
Holger

Upvote 0
Hi 2_nisia,

I hope you're well. As I heard nothing new to this thread I'd like to ask if you found an alternative way to solve the problem?

Ciao,
Holger

Upvote 0
Dear Holger,

Thank you for reaching out. I realised my issue is very complicated to describe and find a solution from here, so I am trying a few things alone.
But thanks for all the help!!

Upvote 0
Hi 2_nisia,

it's always been my opinion that the best solutions are those that anybody has created by himself. They may not ever be the most elegant ones but the person has found a way to work. And that will definitely be a way which may be remembered for any other problem as well.

And maybe it's not you who has trouble describing your problem - it could be me as well understanding what you are up to. At least I have to translate everything into my native tongue in order to understand, figure out, maybe find a solution and translate back to english leaving a lot of room open for misunderstandings.

Thanks for the update, I wish you good luck with your project.

Holger

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back