Renaming multiple existing sheets

willmark

I am a teacher who has created a gradebook in Excel. Each class has a student template sheet, individual sheets for each student in the class (maximum 26 students/class) which has the structure of the template and some cell referencing to the template, and a couple of mark-entry sheets and a sheet that shows the progress of all students in the class.

A number of teachers in the school have been using this gradebook and I am constantly looking for ways to make it more user-friendly. Currently, when a new course starts, a teacher opens a blank copy of the file (which has all of the sheets I mentioned above present). To set up a class, the teacher enters the students' names once on the mark entry sheet (called the "Binder Sheet"), and then changes the individual student tabs (right click...rename...) to reflect the names of their students.

I am wondering if there is a way to have the individual sheet tabs (Student 1, Student 2...Student 26) update automatically to match the names that the teacher enters on the Binder Sheet in cells A4:A29.

Any help is appreciated. VBA (which I don't know much about) is fine. I would like to be able to embed the update procedure/script into the blank template so that it is user friendly for others.

Thank you.

Mark

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Thank you for responding so quickly. My minimal understanding of ABV is making it hard for me to recognize which parts of the code I should be editing to reflect the pre-existing names for each tab.
For example, my source data for the new names will be found on the "Binder Sheet". The student tab labels that I would like updated currently read "Student 1" through to "Student 26."
I do not need any sheets added or removed - for simplicity we just have a class set of 26 and teachers use as many as they need.

Thanks, ianccy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back