Renumber and Resequence into Whole Numbers

BrooksTech

Board Regular
Not ever seen this done yet but it needs to be added into Excel Functionality if it does not already exist:

I have a sequence of numbers in a column "Priority," but at the end I discovered I had NEW items to insert at various places in the list. Normally I'd have to go through and manually renumber all of the affected items. Sometimes this would be necessary 5 or 6 times or more, plus if its a really long list becomes a small nightmare.

What I'd prefer to happen is add new items at end, and number them in the desired insertion point, so if i want something inserted between 14 and 15, the added row would be numbered 14.5, accordingly with many other late entries. Re-SORT them, then the needed part: Have them all automatically renumbered, meaning 14.5 gets renumbered to 15, and the original 15 to 16, etc on down the rows.

I go through this so often and believe enough others do, to need to automate this otherwise manual task.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
are you talking about numbering rows or column ?

Upvote 0
are you talking about numbering rows or column ?
rows

e.g.

And BTW, I cannot use formulas during number entry e.g. "A2+1" etc. on down cus theyre entered STATIC and out of their original sequence. Again, when finished entering they need to be resorted and renumbered into whole numbers.

Upvote 0
You could have the RANK formula in another column, and applied to the column you're manually entering the numbers into. That should give you the whole numbers you seek and if you wanted to clean it up, you just copy the RANK results and paste as values over the manual-entry column.

Upvote 0
Well thank you but I'll have to check a Youtube or something on how the RANK function is used.

But to further clarify, I dont want to manually insert 14.5 for example. Just type it in the last row, sort, then its somehow automatically renumbered to 15. And that last part Ive never seen Excel do, but it should be possible somehow.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
almerpogi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back