Repeating VBA code for multiple Sheet names and References

Jsingh96

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I'm hoping I can get help with the below code, repeating it for a number of sheets.

I am downloading data from a sharepoint, and pasting it into the relevant named sheet, for example retrieve data from X and paste in X_Sheet.

I want to do the above multiple times with a loop, possible referencing a table?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Private Sub CopySheetFromSPOINT()

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Dim x As Workbook
Dim y As Workbook

Set x = Workbooks.Open("https://websitename.................xlsx")
Set y = ThisWorkbook

x.Sheets("tab_name").Cells.Copy
y.Sheets("tab_namex").Cells.PasteSpecial
y.Sheets("tab_namex").Cells.Copy
y.Sheets("tab_namex").Cells.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=True, Transpose:=False

Application.AskToUpdateLinks = False

Application.CutCopyMode = False

Application.AskToUpdateLinks = False

x.Close

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am hoping that I can reference the download source as column 1 (i.e. the web address in the cell) and the column 2 is the paste source - and loop it

1591900264571.png

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi

So I wasn't sure if your code would work, but (after some tweaking) it appears to. This will loop through a selection of cells, and each of which will presumably contain a URL. It will add a new worksheet each time it goes to access the URL. If you want it to go through a table rather than a selection of cells, that's not difficult.

VBA Code:

Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim x As Workbook
Dim y As Workbook
Dim rngURL As Range
Dim cll as Range

Set rngURL = Selection
On Error GoTo errHandler

For Each cll In rngURL

DoEvents

Set x = Workbooks.Open(cll.Value)
    Set y = ThisWorkbook

Set ws = y.Sheets.Add
    x.Sheets(1).Cells.Copy
    ws.Cells.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=True, Transpose:=False

x.Close

Next
errHandler:
If Err.Number <> 0 Then MsgBox "There was an error." & vbNewLine & "Error " & Err.Number & vbTab & Err.Description, vbOKOnly, "Error"
Set x = Nothing
Set y = Nothing
Set ws = Nothing
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi

So I wasn't sure if your code would work, but (after some tweaking) it appears to. This will loop through a selection of cells, and each of which will presumably contain a URL. It will add a new worksheet each time it goes to access the URL. If you want it to go through a table rather than a selection of cells, that's not difficult.

VBA Code:

Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim x As Workbook
Dim y As Workbook
Dim rngURL As Range
Dim cll as Range

Set rngURL = Selection
On Error GoTo errHandler

For Each cll In rngURL

DoEvents

Set y = ThisWorkbook

Set ws = y.Sheets.Add
    x.Sheets(1).Cells.Copy
    ws.Cells.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=True, Transpose:=False

x.Close

Next
errHandler:
If Err.Number <> 0 Then MsgBox "There was an error." & vbNewLine & "Error " & Err.Number & vbTab & Err.Description, vbOKOnly, "Error"
Set x = Nothing
Set y = Nothing
Set ws = Nothing
End Sub

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for providing the assistance, and I can confirm the code runs correctly however - I need to pull a specific name of a sheet (which repeats for all other workbooks I access) where would I put this in the code? (i.e. SHEET_XYX)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi

VBA Code:

Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim x As Workbook
Dim y As Workbook
Dim rngURL As Range
Dim cll as Range

Set rngURL = Selection
On Error GoTo errHandler

For Each cll In rngURL

DoEvents

Set y = ThisWorkbook

Set ws = y.Sheets.Add
    x.Sheets(1).Cells.Copy

x.Close

Next
errHandler:
Set x = Nothing
Set y = Nothing
Set ws = Nothing
End Sub

Hi Dan,

Figured out where the referencing of sheet goes for the pull ; Could you point me in the right direction for referencing a range of cells (adjacent to the website column range) to name the sheet created for the pulled worksheet?

Much appreciated, I have never really used VBA; just SQL!

Cheers

Upvote 0
If the cells with the website URLs are in a workbook called MYWORKBOOK.XLSM on SHEET_XYX in (for example) cells B2, B3, B4, then just replace this line:
VBA Code:
Set rngURL = Selection

with:

VBA Code:
Set rngURL = Workbooks("MYWORKBOOK.XLSM").Sheets("SHEET_XYX").Range("B2:B4")

Does that work?

Upvote 0
If the cells with the website URLs are in a workbook called MYWORKBOOK.XLSM on SHEET_XYX in (for example) cells B2, B3, B4, then just replace this line:
VBA Code:
Set rngURL = Selection

with:

VBA Code:
Set rngURL = Workbooks("MYWORKBOOK.XLSM").Sheets("SHEET_XYX").Range("B2:B4")

Does that work?

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply, yes I did change this previously and it works great for running through the cells and pulling the data, however, when it creates the new sheet to paste the data in; the names are just Sheet (x) - I need the new sheet to be named with a specific range too... adjacent cells to the URL (e.g. URL WWW.XYX.COM in the first column, and another column with the name XYZ) -

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back