Report design help

Zzyzzyth

Board Regular
I have a report that returns a list of vendors and the product codes that they supply. Since the detail section is 1 field, I would like for it to print 3-5 products on the same line, rather than row after row. It's making the report many pages more than it has to be.

Here's how the report shows up now:

ABC Trucking Co. (Address) (City) etc..................

I would like for it to come out like this:

ABC Trucking Co. (Address) (City) etc..................
45678 23456 12345

How do you tell Access to repeat fields on the same row when there are multiple records returned from the query?

As always, thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Thanks for the reply. That's close, but now it's breaking the vendors up with it. I'm sure it's the grouping option - but I can't get that to cooperate either.

Upvote 0
Someone replied to me earlier and had it close. But , now their post is gone. Anyway, (s)he had me go to page setup and change the number of columns. This was really close, it started putting fields across the page, but it was also doing it with the vendor info itself. I think it might be my grouping settings. That link you supplied was interesting. I understood just enough to see what was going on, but have no idea how to implement it.

Upvote 0
I would make a sub-report for the products. Then, I would define that sub-report to have as many columns as would be right for the data to be displayed. Be sure to set the columns as Across, then Down. With the sub-report being linked by Vendor, the report should give you what you have described.
HTH,

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry if this is silly, but I'm fairly new to Access and have had this major project dumped in my lap. I'm primarily Excel/VBA proficient. Anyway, how do you go about embedding a subreport. Is there a control to draw it with, or do you have to create it on the side as a seperate report and then "import" it, so to speak. While I was waiting for a response, I seen a couple of references to subreports and was trying to find some help in Access.

Upvote 0
A sub-report is just a report, but is then placed into another report with a subreport control. Or, as I usually do it, have the primary report open in design view, then drag the report that will be the sub-report to the primary report, about where you want it, and drop it there. Within the properties of the sub-report control, you will need to put in your [Vendor] variable name as the Link field.

Upvote 0
The only thing you need on the new report is the products, and the only thing the query needs is the products and whatever Vendor fields to identify the Vendor. (I'm assuming a VendorNumber.)

Upvote 0
I created a new report with the Vendor ID, and product codes, drop it on the report, but I'm not sure how to link the new reports Vendor key with the master report's Vendor key. I don't see a a place for a link or child field.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back