Report Filter - Can I filter one drop down based on another?

micheller

I have a pivot table in Excel 2007 where I would like to have two report filters. If I select a value in the one drop down filter, I would like only those valid options to appear in the second drop down filter to appear.

In my example, The one field (COMPANY) in my table contains a list of 1000 companies. The second field (SUBSET) contains a flag (Yes/No) for a subset of 10 companies. I would like to be able to select Yes for the SUBSET filter and then ONLY show those 10 companies in the COMPANY [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important][/COLOR][/COLOR]drop down filter.

Currently if I have both Company and Subset as my report filters, and I select YES, it WILL filter the total results for values but will show all 1000 Companies in the Company dropdown. This makes it very difficult for a user only interested in the 10 Subset's to find and select individual members in that subset.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi and Welcome to the Board,

I'm pretty sure that you can't have the report filters of the PivotTable only show checkboxes for some of the items for a field.

One approach to the problem of long lists that you describe would be to create a range outside the PivotTable that lists the 10 or so PivotItems of interest. Then you could use VBA to filter your PivotTable to make only those items visible. I can post some code if you want to try that.

There are many ways to create the range that lists subset items of interest including having a second PivotTable that you filter by "Subset=Yes" to display your Company Items in RowFields.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back