Report Showing Primary Keys instead of Names!

kellem80

Board Regular
I have a report based on a Query. The Query, when run, displays the Project Names and Task Names. When creating the report (report wizard), Access reverts all the Project and Task Names back to thier primary keys. The report is broken down as such:
Project
Task
Activity
Sum Amount

Project is diplaying primary key # in Project Header instead of the name displayed in the query
Task is displaying primary key # in the Task Header instead of the name displayed in the query
Activity in the Activity Header is the Activity Name (which is what is desired), however in the footer, this also ends up reverting to the primary key!!!
The footers contains subtotal and total information (each level has a footer total and all are displaying primary key instead of name associated).

I could not find any help in properties for these fields in the design side, the properties look properly linked.

thanks in advance!
k

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Thanks, this helped and worked just fine.
I read the "evils" but what would be an alternative to using the lookup fields that would provide the users the same effect? (Pull-down menus, inability to enter typed characters, etc.) The option would also need to be easy enough to be maintained by Access novices.
Figured I'd ask :)

Upvote 0
The "evil" look up fields only work in tables and queries. Data entry should never be done directly into tables and queries. You should always use a form fopr dat aentry.

Foirms are very powerful. YIu can use a combo box to look up the value from a look up table just like the look up field in a table. Before the feature was added to Access we only way to handle it was on a form. Every Access Guru/Expert/MVP I know all agree that users should never see tables. That means they will never do data entry directly into a table or query. With a well design relational database it is very difficult to do. That may be why Microsoft thought adding the look up to the tables was a good idea. I see it as only encouraging poor Access application development.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back