*Request for Opinons/Insights* Why use VBA with IE

Hollando

Board Regular
Hello all,

With the New Year fast approaching, and the desire to set our goals for 2014 closing in I had a question that I wanted to ask the board about.

A friend of mine recently expressed his desire to learn more about VBA in Excel/Outlook/Access and the interactions possible with a Application (Browser) such as Internet Explorer. I understand that there are certain ad hoc problems that can be solved with this approach. However, I'm still not seeing the big picture of using VBA to solve a wide array of challenges with Internet Explorer.

If anyone has some insight that would help better educate me on this matter I'd greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Hollando

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
VBA isn't going to solve IE problems (or any other dependency app for that matter), that's up to the dependency app to solve.
IE is just another object/service called by another outside app (Whatever the Office flavor of the day may be).

Coming from a consulting systems analyst perspective, I come from a VB background, so VBA migrates naturally for me.
The clients I go into for web apps don't always just hand over development platforms to work with, but Office is always available.
So I can utilize VBA against IE (and it's multitude of client-supported versions) to perform scripted testing and data mining that may not be available to me otherwise.
It's a tool-set I can take with me wherever I go.

I've had truist technologists scoff at my use of VBA, but ask them to write a web-utility and you might see something after 3 weeks of begging; not a time-frame generally available for me to perform my tasks.
So I will use VBA to provide my own self-sufficiency.
Yes, they are generally short-term utilities, but they make it so I dont have to kill myself at the end of the week.

I have also been to clients where they run enormous amounts of calculations (everything from hugely complex big-dollar bonus structures to rating insurance policies to IDE) through Excel (Many Finance people trust it implicitly because they can understand and manipulate it)
So if the client platform is Excel/Office Suite; then me and my VBA are already ahead of the curve to provide services.

VBA is not a true development environment according to standards of most of the dev houses I go to (mostly for the lack of being able to secure anything that passes through it); but it can be persuaded to do sooo much more than most people know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back