Request for VBA code for importing multiple tab-delineated .txt files into Excel 2010

gmackey

Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to review my request. I've been poking around the boards and Google trying to find a code that will work for what I'm trying to do. This forum has been very informative, but I'm not a programmer and I'm having trouble changing all the coding from the existing threads to fit my needs. Any help provided would be much appreciated, so thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out.

The Rub:
I have a system of equipment controlled by a master PLC unit that collects process data and stores in a tab delineated text file once per day. The data are recorded in 9 columns from various system components approximately every 5 seconds, providing data files with about 10,000 rows each. To stay in compliance with our permit, I need to import and process the data and submit a report once per month (31 data files). I have the data processing component nailed down, but could use some help on the import side.

Import Request:
The data are stored in rows with the date and time being the first column. I want to import 1 months worth of data from a single file folder. Ideally, the import function would either open a 'Select Files to Import' box, or just import all the files from a selected folder. Please include a provision in the code for the insertion point for the first data log (i.e. start import at A23). Each data file should be posted below the previous data file (i.e. continuing downwards, not horizontally) without column headers in a single (active) worksheet. The ideal result would be a continuous data log that starts at 00:00 am of the 1st file and continues through 23:59 pm of the last file in the folder.

Other info:
I'm using Excel 2010, so there should be no issues with capacity of rows. I posted a few rows of data from one of the files to show what it looks like.

Finally, I know I'm like a beggar with my hand out, so if someone knows a slice of code that almost fits and could direct me on modifying it (with the assumption that I'm a total programming newbie), I would be happy to try. I'm actually banking on the idea that people who read this post are totally altruistic and actually love to code for free. I hope I'm right!

Thanks in advance!

Graham

Data example:

Date
FE001_SVE_FLOW_SCL
PT001_SVE_PRESS_SCL
TE001_INLET_TEMP_SCL
TE002_DISCHARGE_TEMP_SCL
PT_003_T001_AVG
FIT002_UPI_DISCHARGE_SCL
SAMPLE_RECORD
SAMPLE_COUNTER
10/13/2016
10/13/2016
10/13/2016
10/13/2016

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Try this as a starting point. I have hard-coded the folder path - change this to your actual folder. Alternatively, look at Application.FileDialog (msoFileDialogFolderPicker) to allow the user to browse and select a folder.

Code:
Public Sub Import_Files()

Dim sourceFolder As String
    Dim fileName As String
    Dim destCell As Range
    Dim startRow As Long

'Folder containing the .txt files

sourceFolder = "C:\path\to\folder\"     'CHANGE THIS
    If Right(sourceFolder, 1) <> "\" Then sourceFolder = sourceFolder & "\"

'Cell where import will start

Set destCell = ActiveSheet.Range("A23")

'Start import at row 1 in first .txt file to include column headings

startRow = 1

fileName = Dir(sourceFolder & "*.txt")

While fileName <> ""

With destcell.Worksheet

'Import this file starting at destCell

With .QueryTables.Add(Connection:="TEXT;" & sourceFolder & fileName, Destination:=destCell)
                .TextFileStartRow = startRow
                .TextFileParseType = xlDelimited
                .TextFileTabDelimiter = True
                .TextFileColumnDataTypes = Array(1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
                .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
            End With
            .QueryTables(1).Delete

'Update destination cell for next file

Set destCell = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1)

End With

'Start import at row 2 in subsequent .txt files to ignore column headings

startRow = 2

'Get next file

fileName = Dir()
    Wend

End Sub
The file names returned by the Dir function are not in a defined order, so you might need to sort the data on column A after the import has finished - record a macro to do this and it can incorporated into the above code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This works pretty much perfectly. The only issue is that the import shifts the other existing columns to the right. I managed to record a macro to import onto a blank worksheet and then copy the data over to where I need it. Thanks so much for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back