Requesting help with dynamic named range that does not recognize full column of data

shstrating

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Excel 2016 / Win7Pro SP1

I have several dynamic named ranges defined on a worksheet.

The formula I am using (found on OZGRID) is:
=OFFSET($A$1,0,0,MATCH("*",$A:$A,-1),1)​
My only modifications to the original formula were define the Sheet Name and to set my starting cell at Row7 instead of the example, which used Row1.​

I am using this formula for dynamic named ranges in Columns B, D, E, H, I, L, O, P with no problems.
The only change from column to column is the Column letter.​

However, when I try to use it in my Column M it will only return a range of 3 cells down.
This is true no matter which cell I use as my starting cell.​
Even if I start in a cell that's beyond my data range, it only returns a range of 3 cells down.
This is the non-working formula:​
=OFFSET(Product_Categories!$<sheet name="">M$7,0,0,MATCH("*",Product_Categories!$<sheet name="">M:$M,-1),1)</sheet></sheet>​

I believe the fact that it only ever returns a 3-cell range tells me it's not working at all in ColM, but for the life of me I cannot determine why.

All of my columns (B-P) are set to General for Number Format, and all of the columns contain text.

This is a small sample of the data from the worksheet: (Cols G & K are Hidden in the worksheet / Cols C, F, J, N are helper columns)
ABCDEFHIJLMNOP
6CC1 CodeOne Knoll 1 - DivisionCC2 CodeOne Knoll 2 - Product CategoryOne Knoll 3 - Product Sub-CategoryCC3 CodeOne Knoll 4 - Product LineCC4 CodeOne Knoll 5 - Product TypeCC5 Code
7KNOKnoll OfficeKnollOfficeACCAccessoriesAccessoriesAccessories PartsACPAccessoriesPartsAnchorANCKnollOfficeAdjustable-Height StoolsAHS
8KNSKnollStudioKnollStudioSTGSeatingSeatingCommunication BoardsCMBCommunicationBoardsAntennaANTKnollOfficeAdmin/MedianADM
9SYSSystemsSystemsComputer Support AccessoriesCSAComputerSupportAccessoriesAutostradaAUTKnollOfficeAperture and Enclosure ComponentsAEC
10USTUniversal StorageUniversalStorageConsumer ProductsCPRConsumerProductsCalibreCALKnollOfficeApplied WallsAPW
11UTBUniversal TablesUniversalTablesLightingLGTLightingChadwickCHDKnollOfficeBagsBAG

<tbody>
</tbody>
Product_Categories
Any ideas as to what might be causing this formula to fail only when used in ColM?

Thanks,
Steve

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi Steve,

Can you share you workbook here, s that I can have a look at it and find out the issue?

Thanks and I'm able to respond in real time to you until it's solved.

Upvote 0
sunny102,

Thanks for the offer, but I've checked upstream and because there is proprietary, unreleased product data in the workbook they are not allowing me to distribute it anywhere for any reason.
:oops:

Upvote 0
You can share with some dummy data or only data on columns where you have named ranges and also Column M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back