Resize rows of a 2D Array

johnnyL

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
This is widely reported as not possible. You can only change the # of columns of a 2D Array.

While technically that is true, the end goal is quickly possible. This is accomplished by quickly copying data from the Original 2D Array to a new 2D Array of the size that is specified.

I got the idea from a post dated 01/09/2014 by Control Freak @ Excel VBA - How to Redim a 2D array?

That is the code I started with for a function to Preserve a current 2D array and be able to resize the # of rows & columns in the 2D Array.

The Function I came up with will preserve the Original 2D array data as well as the LBounds of the Original 2D Array, allow resizing the amount of rows/columns of the Original 2D Array, & Erase the Original 2D Array (Free up memory) prior to the creation of the 'New' preserved/resized 2D Array.

VBA Code:
Public Function ReDimPreserve(ArrayNameToResize, NewRowUbound, NewColumnUbound)
'
' Code inspired by Control Freak
'
' Preserve Original data & LBounds & Redim both dimensions for a 2D array
'
' example usage of the function:
' ArrayName = ReDimPreserve(ArrayName,NewRowSize,NewColumnSize)
' ie.
' InputArray = ReDimPreserve(InputArray,10,20)
'
    Dim NewColumn                   As Long, NewRow                      As Long
    Dim OldColumnLbound             As Long, OldRowLbound                As Long
    Dim OldColumnUbound             As Long, OldRowUbound                As Long
    Dim NewResizedArray()           As Variant
'
    ReDimPreserve = False
'
    If IsArray(ArrayNameToResize) Then                                                                      ' If the variable is an array then ...
           OldRowLbound = LBound(ArrayNameToResize, 1)                                                      '   Save the original row Lbound to OldRowLbound
        OldColumnLbound = LBound(ArrayNameToResize, 2)                                                      '   Save the original column Lbound to OldColumnLbound
'
        ReDim NewResizedArray(OldRowLbound To NewRowUbound, OldColumnLbound To NewColumnUbound)             '   Create a New 2D Array with same Lbounds as the original array
'
        OldRowUbound = UBound(ArrayNameToResize, 1)                                                         '   Save row Ubound of original array
        OldColumnUbound = UBound(ArrayNameToResize, 2)                                                      '   Save column Ubound of original array
'
        For NewRow = OldRowLbound To NewRowUbound                                                           '   Loop through rows of original array
            For NewColumn = OldColumnLbound To NewColumnUbound                                              '       Loop through columns of original array
                If OldRowUbound >= NewRow And OldColumnUbound >= NewColumn Then                             '           If more data to copy then ...
                    NewResizedArray(NewRow, NewColumn) = ArrayNameToResize(NewRow, NewColumn)               '               Append rows/columns to NewResizedArray
                End If
            Next                                                                                            '       Loop back
        Next                                                                                                '   Loop back
'
        Erase ArrayNameToResize                                                                             '   Free up the memory the Original array was taking
'
        If IsArray(NewResizedArray) Then ReDimPreserve = NewResizedArray
    End If
End Function

Let me know your thoughts. Can it be improved upon?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Maybe I'm missing something.

If you Dim ayOld(1 to 2, 1 to 2) >>> ReDim ayOld(1 to 2, 1 to 4) works BUT ReDim ayOld(1 to 4, 1 to 2) and ayOld(1 to 4, 1 to 4) both fail.
You can easily ReDim ayOld(1 to 2, 1 to 2) to ayOld(1 to 4, 1 to 4) by using Transpose. No looping necessary.

VBA Code:
Sub ReDimBothDimentions()
Dim ayOLD(), ayNEW()

ReDim ayOLD(1 To 2, 1 To 2)
        ayOLD(1, 1) = 11: ayOLD(1, 2) = 12
        ayOLD(2, 1) = 21: ayOLD(2, 2) = 22

ReDim Preserve ayOLD(1 To 2, 1 To 4)
        ayOLD(1, 3) = 13: ayOLD(1, 4) = 14
        ayOLD(2, 3) = 23: ayOLD(2, 4) = 24

ayNEW = Application.Transpose(ayOLD) << Put into ayNew
    ReDim Preserve ayNEW(1 To 4, 1 To 4) << Static Dimension 1 in ayOld is now Resizeable Dimention 2 in ayNew

ayOLD = Application.Transpose(ayNEW) <<< Put it back
        ayOLD(3, 1) = 31: ayOLD(3, 2) = 32: ayOLD(3, 3) = 33: ayOLD(3, 4) = 34
        ayOLD(4, 1) = 41: ayOLD(4, 2) = 42: ayOLD(4, 3) = 43: ayOLD(4, 4) = 44

Erase ayNEW
    Stop

End Sub

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm missing something.

If you Dim ayOld(1 to 2, 1 to 2) >>> ReDim ayOld(1 to 2, 1 to 4) works BUT ReDim ayOld(1 to 4, 1 to 2) and ayOld(1 to 4, 1 to 4) both fail.
You can easily ReDim ayOld(1 to 2, 1 to 2) to ayOld(1 to 4, 1 to 4) by using Transpose. No looping necessary.

You need to be careful with that, as far as I am aware Transpose has a limit of 26,864 rows.

Upvote 0
You need to be careful with that, as far as I am aware Transpose has a limit of 26,864 rows.

Thus the purpose of the function is clearer. I believe the actual limit is 65,536 rows for transpose. ;)

With the function, it is not as confusing as transposing, making a change to the row size, then transposing it back. The function also allows both rows and columns to be changed in the same line of code.

Upvote 0
Thus the purpose of the function is clearer. I believe the actual limit is 65,536 rows for transpose. ;)
Did you test it ? My testing capped it at 26,864. Look in the Array Values in the watch window above that number. Ideally dump in a sequential no because I seem to recollect that it might recycle the first 26k numbers once it hits that limit. I won't be at a computer until later today.

Upvote 0
Did you test it ? My testing capped it at 26,864. Look in the Array Values in the watch window above that number. Ideally dump in a sequential no because I seem to recollect that it might recycle the first 26k numbers once it hits that limit. I won't be at a computer until later today.

Actually I didn't even make it that far in the testing before you can see that transpose is messing up the row count ...
VBA Code:
Sub TestTranspose()
'
    Dim I           As Long
    Dim TestArray() As Variant, NewTestArray() As Variant
'
    ReDim TestArray(1 To 70000, 1 To 2)
'
    For I = 1 To UBound(TestArray, 1)
        TestArray(I, 1) = I
        TestArray(I, 2) = "Column B"
    Next
'
    Debug.Print TestArray(65536, 1)                         ' This = 65536
    Debug.Print TestArray(65537, 1)                         ' This = 65537
'
    Debug.Print UBound(TestArray, 1)                        ' This = 70000
    Debug.Print UBound(TestArray, 2)                        ' This = 2

NewTestArray = TestArray
'
    Debug.Print NewTestArray(65536, 1)                         ' This = 65536
    Debug.Print NewTestArray(65537, 1)                         ' This = 65537
'
    Debug.Print UBound(NewTestArray, 1)                        ' This = 70000
    Debug.Print UBound(NewTestArray, 2)                        ' This = 2
'
    NewTestArray = Application.Transpose(NewTestArray)
'
    Debug.Print UBound(NewTestArray, 1)                        ' This = 2
    Debug.Print UBound(NewTestArray, 2)                        ' This = 4464 <---
'
    NewTestArray = Application.Transpose(NewTestArray)
'
    Debug.Print UBound(NewTestArray, 1)                        ' This = 4464 <---
    Debug.Print UBound(NewTestArray, 2)                        ' This = 2
End Sub

Anything above 65536 for the row count, transpose will mess it up by resetting the row count it appears.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In other words: Rows of 65537 transposes to 1, 65538 transposes to 2, etc.

That explains the transpose result in post #6. 70000 minus 65536 = 4464. :)

Upvote 0

With the function, it is not as confusing as transposing, making a change to the row size, then transposing it back. The function also allows both rows and columns to be changed in the same line of code.

A 65,000 record limit might be a problem for someone. But, a VBA loop with 65,000 itterations might be, as well. ;) I do agree a function is generally cleaner than leaving it in the middle of a longer bit of work. However, confusion ... like beauty or elegance ... is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer fewer lines and built-in functions over nested loops wrapped in If/Thens. But, to each his own. There's no one right answer.

My function ...
VBA Code:
Function ayVoudou(ByRef ayOld, Ur%, Uc%) As Variant
Dim L1%, L2%, U1%, tmp()

L1 = LBound(ayOld, 1): L2 = LBound(ayOld, 2): U1 = UBound(ayOld, 1)

ReDim Preserve ayOld(L1 To U1, L2 To Uc) ' columns
    tmp = Application.Transpose(ayOld)

ReDim Preserve tmp(L2 To Uc, L1 To Ur) 'rows
    ayVoudou = Application.Transpose(tmp)

End Function

Upvote 0
A 65,000 record limit might be a problem for someone. But, a VBA loop with 65,000 itterations might be, as well. ;) I do agree a function is generally cleaner than leaving it in the middle of a longer bit of work. However, confusion ... like beauty or elegance ... is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer fewer lines and built-in functions over nested loops wrapped in If/Thens. But, to each his own. There's no one right answer.

My function ...
VBA Code:
Function ayVoudou(ByRef ayOld, Ur%, Uc%) As Variant
Dim L1%, L2%, U1%, tmp()

L1 = LBound(ayOld, 1): L2 = LBound(ayOld, 2): U1 = UBound(ayOld, 1)

ReDim Preserve ayOld(L1 To U1, L2 To Uc) ' columns
    tmp = Application.Transpose(ayOld)

ReDim Preserve tmp(L2 To Uc, L1 To Ur) 'rows
    ayVoudou = Application.Transpose(tmp)

End Function

I didn't see a working example of your latest code, I did see you mention looping as a potential problem?

Here is the code I put together for 1048576 rows & 2 columns:
VBA Code:
Sub TestTranspose()
'
    Dim StartTime   As Double
'
    StartTime = Timer
'
    Dim I           As Long
    Dim ayOld() As Variant, NewTestArray() As Variant
'
    ReDim ayOld(1 To 1048576, 1 To 2)
'
    For I = 1 To UBound(ayOld, 1)
        ayOld(I, 1) = I
        ayOld(I, 2) = "Column B"
    Next
'
    NewTestArray = ReDimPreserve(ayOld, 1048576, 2)
'
    Range("A1").Resize(UBound(NewTestArray, 1), UBound(NewTestArray, 2)) = NewTestArray
'
    Debug.Print "Time to complete 1048576 rows of 2D 2 column array looping = " & Timer - StartTime & " seconds."
End Sub

Public Function ReDimPreserve(ArrayNameToResize, NewRowUbound, NewColumnUbound)
'
' Code inspired by Control Freak
'
' Preserve Original data & LBounds & Redim both dimensions for a 2D array
'
' example usage of the function:
' ArrayName = ReDimPreserve(ArrayName,NewRowSize,NewColumnSize)
' ie.
' InputArray = ReDimPreserve(InputArray,10,20)
'
    Dim NewColumn                   As Long, NewRow                      As Long
    Dim OldColumnLbound             As Long, OldRowLbound                As Long
    Dim OldColumnUbound             As Long, OldRowUbound                As Long
    Dim NewResizedArray()           As Variant
'
    ReDimPreserve = False
'
    If IsArray(ArrayNameToResize) Then                                                                      ' If the variable is an array then ...
           OldRowLbound = LBound(ArrayNameToResize, 1)                                                      '   Save the original row Lbound to OldRowLbound
        OldColumnLbound = LBound(ArrayNameToResize, 2)                                                      '   Save the original column Lbound to OldColumnLbound
'
        ReDim NewResizedArray(OldRowLbound To NewRowUbound, OldColumnLbound To NewColumnUbound)             '   Create a New 2D Array with same Lbounds as the original array
'
        OldRowUbound = UBound(ArrayNameToResize, 1)                                                         '   Save row Ubound of original array
        OldColumnUbound = UBound(ArrayNameToResize, 2)                                                      '   Save column Ubound of original array
'
        For NewRow = OldRowLbound To NewRowUbound                                                           '   Loop through rows of original array
            For NewColumn = OldColumnLbound To NewColumnUbound                                              '       Loop through columns of original array
                If OldRowUbound >= NewRow And OldColumnUbound >= NewColumn Then                             '           If more data to copy then ...
                    NewResizedArray(NewRow, NewColumn) = ArrayNameToResize(NewRow, NewColumn)               '               Append rows/columns to NewResizedArray
                End If
            Next                                                                                            '       Loop back
        Next                                                                                                '   Loop back
'
        Erase ArrayNameToResize                                                                             '   Free up the memory the Original array was taking
'
        If IsArray(NewResizedArray) Then ReDimPreserve = NewResizedArray
    End If
End Function

It completes successfully in about 1.4 seconds on my computer.

Upvote 0
@Alex Blakenburg back to your question, if the original rows are 65536 or less, the transpose did not screw up the results in my testing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back