Resolving Duplicate UDF names / file links

KBARAD

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a library of vba utils I use for daily utility (splitting multiline cells into arrays, range based concatenation, blank removal, etc). I've got these as an add-in module and that is fine for personal use. In a team though, unless everyone has the add in enabled it doesn't work - which is annoying but normal. For a particaular project, to make it portable, I have copied the module into the workbook in question. However, it isn't working as I hoped

When opened on another computer I find the UDF references (some, not all) still point to a local path for the addin - which is not the same for all users, therefore not working. When opened on the other computer you get a formula containing a "path\workbookFileName!"FUNCTION(params) rather than just the function name, and the workbook is maintaining links. Is there a way to force the formuae to reference the embedded module rather than the add in? What is the order of presidence when a UDF name is in both an add-in module and the workbook module?

I've had similar annoyances when people have an addin installed in a different path to me - it's not visible when you write that it embeds the xlam path into the function call in the formula bar. if it was only the function name i believe it would locally resolve for users but I cannot figure how to do this.

I have a suspicion the problems may be udf calls I wrote before I copied the module in, and the newer udf calls are using the local calls. However, there is no real way to check. Sorry I don't have many samples to share since I've already gone through and rebuild half the spreadsheet to remove all external links (after disabling the add in temporarily). I also note that I've had no issues in the vba code calling these functions - probably because I qualified the name always to the local module name and did not reference a dependency.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back