Resources for learning excel>VBA>data analysis

ziggyfo

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi All,

Im sure this has been asked, but to get a bit more of a clearer answer as there are so many routes one can go with your journey with excel.

Currently I am intermediate with excel and some basic VBA code (really basic).

I would ultimately like to be in a position to be able to be quite fluent with excel (i know there are tons of resources for this, so this is not too important) my vba journey will include webscraping, data sorting, data analysing, extensive formula usage.

I want to be able to pull information from the web with vba and be able to manipulate the information exactly how i want it.

There are some incredible clever people on this forum and hoping they could guide me and point me into a direct that is not so broad. There are many things that i will probably not need, but i also don't know at this stage even where to begin to be able to learn the things i really need instead of the things that are not so important.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Zig

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
point me into a direct that is not so broad
Tbh, you already know the direction you're heading to as you mentioned, pulling info from the web, sorting, and stuff.
All those are very independent and specific topics, so they can already be your starting point.
You can look up on how to extract web data with either VBA or the power query, pretty sure you can find plenty of resources. Once your desired data are imported into Excel, then ask yourself what you're gonna do next, and research on them individually.

I would ultimately like to be in a position to be able to be quite fluent with excel
If you just want to improve your own general knowledge and skills in Excel, helping people is a great way to start. That is also how I started improving myself, and I am still doing so.
When you come up with a solution to a problem someone is asking, sometimes you have to do a little research as well, in order to cook up the solution. And if at the end of the day someone else also answered the same question, their solution can possibly teach you a different method/approach than what you've used.

Upvote 0
My suggestion is to start with Power Query. It is an incredibly powerful tool that is very underutilized/unknown, especially if you are working with lots of data from a variety of sources.

As far as VBA, honestly, just start with any basic programming tutorials to pick up basic programming concepts like variables, types, loops, logical operators, functions, etc.

As mentioned, helping people is a good place to start, but generally just trying to figure out how to do things in a better/easier way and reading what others have done to make your job a little easier. That's how I got started - I got tired of spending an inappropriate amount of time each week babysitting and updating the same formulas each week for a report.

Upvote 0
Zig,
I’m on the same journey as you are. Currently, I’m going through some great YouTube playlists in order to get a better foundation, since most of the stuff on this message board is beyond my level at the moment. Below are 3 resources that I’m using or am planning on using. I‘ve completed #1 and I’m about halfway through #2.

1. Chelsea Dohemann’s stuff (she is an amazing teacher; although she does not have much content yet—I think she needs some encouragement)
2. Chris Mortimer’s 30 for 30 series

3. WiseOwl Tutorials (the few videos that I’ve watched have been great)
Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you find a great resource as well!

-Sebby

Upvote 0
Zig,
I’m on the same journey as you are. Currently, I’m going through some great YouTube playlists in order to get a better foundation, since most of the stuff on this message board is beyond my level at the moment. Below are 3 resources that I’m using or am planning on using. I‘ve completed #1 and I’m about halfway through #2.

1. Chelsea Dohemann’s stuff (she is an amazing teacher; although she does not have much content yet—I think she needs some encouragement)
2. Chris Mortimer’s 30 for 30 series

3. WiseOwl Tutorials (the few videos that I’ve watched have been great)
Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you find a great resource as well!

-Sebby

I think that #3 will have the best guidance on using VBA for web scraping.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back