Restore wrongly changed name of my old Excel app

hermhart

Recently I upgraded from Office Professional 2003 to Office Professional 2013 by purchasing it from Ebay. I decided to leave my old 2003 installed; so both are installed. Excel 2013 works very well; no problems there. But somehow in the process it seems that my old Excel 2003 got renamed as Excel 2013.
DefaultAppForFileType.JPG

The problem has to do with setting default apps for file types. For the various Excel file types, some of them use the new Excel 2013 and some use the old Excel 2003. However the old icon is labeled as 2013 the same as is the new icon. So I think that's why the default app utility is confused and just picks either of them. If I attempt to change the default app, I am offered either the wrongly labeled old Excel 2003, or else go to the Store for a brand new app. See the attached image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txjulz6wu2ed6gl/DefaultAppForFileType.JPG?dl=0

The old Excel 2003 executable is located where it should be. See attached image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbuqlisov5w3e6d/Excel2003Path.JPG?dl=0

So what is the solution? Do I have to uninstall the old Office 2003? Is there a way to find out how this wrong labeling happened and fix it? Or something else?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
it is probably that the default for xls was changed to 2013, try and set those defaults to the installed 2003 if it is still on the system, or night have to reinstall that. ms does like to remove older programmes

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back