restrict cell format in a given column

TG2812

Board Regular
Hello,

I'm trying to come up with a small macro allowing to restrict the user input to a given date format in column B. If it is not a date, then content is cleared and a pop up message appear to alert the user. Ultimately all date format should align to mm/dd/yyyy (the macro could auto correct wrong date input). Any idea how to build such code?

I initially wanted to insert Microsoft date and time picker control but I do not have the right version of excel installed (using 64 bits)..add-ins are also not a solution as it would require the other users to have it installed on their PCs. Hence why the macro is a viable alternative in my case.

Thank you in advance for your help .

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().

jasonb75

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Why not just use data validation?

TG2812

Board Regular
@jasonb75 thank you for the prompt reply. I tried data validation but I cannot apply the formula to a specific column only (or at least I haven't found a way to do it).

=AND(ISNUMBER(B2),LEFT(CELL("format",B2),1)="D")

Alternatively, i came up with this macro but the worksheet event is not correct I thin. For example when i enter text value and hit enter, nothing happens.

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then
Set c = ActiveCell
If c.Value <> "" And Not IsDate(c) Then
c.ClearContents
MsgBox "Only a date format is permitted in this cell."
End If
End If
End Sub

jasonb75

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Don't use a formula for validation, just set a min and max date range with the correct format already applied to the cells, then protect the sheet.

TG2812

Board Regular
@jasonb75 works like a charm. Thank you.

Just for my curiosity, what would have been the solution with a macro?

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LS0009