restrict user from entering formula

MN Kim

Hi - I want my users to enter a whole number value rather than a formula in a fixed asset spdsht. They are to type in their ending balance and then distribute it (additions, retirements, etc.). Then I have a formula to notify them if they have an undistributed balance. But some of them are entering a formula to sum their ending balance rather than entering it and distributing it.
I've tried data validation to restrict them from entering a formula which seems to work except if they have no activity that month and their beginning balance equals their ending. Then it won't allow them to enter the ending balance--because it is the result of the formula I restricted??
Confusing enough?
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
This might work. It checks each entry for the formula = sign at the beginning and cancels the entry if necessary.

Goes in sheet module. right click tab & "View code".
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
    Dim Entry As String
    Entry = Target.Formula
    If Left(Entry, 1) = "=" Then
        MsgBox ("Cannot enter a formula")
        Target.Value = ""
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Aren't you distorting the definition of an ending balance? It, after all, is the balance that is the end product of various activities. Consequently, it should equal opening balance + inflows - outflows. To me the concept of "enter an ending balance and then distribute it" is totally alien.

MN Kim said:
Hi - I want my users to enter a whole number value rather than a formula in a fixed asset spdsht. They are to type in their ending balance and then distribute it (additions, retirements, etc.). Then I have a formula to notify them if they have an undistributed balance. But some of them are entering a formula to sum their ending balance rather than entering it and distributing it.
I've tried data validation to restrict them from entering a formula which seems to work except if they have no activity that month and their beginning balance equals their ending. Then it won't allow them to enter the ending balance--because it is the result of the formula I restricted??
Confusing enough?
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Upvote 0
Yes, the ending balance should be beg bal + inflows - outflows. But I am receiving information from over 34 countries across the globe. Invariably when one of them changes the worksheet to a sum formula rather than entering the ending balance the sum of the activity does not equal the ending balance in their general ledger--i.e. they haven't correctly entered their inflows and outflows.
If I can require them to key in their ending balance I have a formula that notifies them if they haven't fully distributed it. Not perfect but has worked for most people.
Thanks Brian, I'll try your solution!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back