Restricting

John North

Hi, I had some excellent help from several members yesterday evening so I'm hoping I'll get similar assistance today.

I'm having trouble with my electricity supply company. I've received an enormous bill, and my own readings and calculations taken over a period and recorded in Excel prove the bill to be wrong.

At this point I want to submit my results anonymously by email, and although I can remove my personal details from the "Properties" box I can't find a way so far of removing my details from the "AutoRecover" location, even if I turn "AutoRecover" off. I feel I'm missing a really simple solution, but I can't see it. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Removing personal information

This is a repeat post - I forgot to put in a subject.

Hi, I had some excellent help from several members yesterday evening so I'm hoping I'll get similar assistance today.

I'm having trouble with my electricity supply company. I've received an enormous bill, and my own readings and calculations taken over a period and recorded in Excel prove the bill to be wrong.

At this point I want to submit my results anonymously by email, and although I can remove my personal details from the "Properties" box I can't find a way so far of removing my details from the "AutoRecover" location, even if I turn "AutoRecover" off. I feel I'm missing a really simple solution, but I can't see it. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hello John North,
Why would you want to email them anonymously?
I work at the electric company here (not in the office, I run the power plants) but I know
the people in the office would be more than interested if they're meter readers or
billing dept. were sending out inaccurate bills.
I also know they are allowed to actually read the meters maybe every 2 to 4 months and
simply estimate the months in between. Might that be what you're seeing on your bill(s)?
Your meter reading is indisputable proof of your actual power consumption.

Either way, they can't correct your situation if they don't know who you are. :wink:

Upvote 0
Hi HalfAce,

I understand your reply, but there is a simple answer to your question, but first I'd like to explain that in the UK, with this power company at least, there doesn't seem to be defined maximum number of estimated readings - it can and does go on for much longer periods than seems to be the case in Alaska. The power companies in this country in general do not have a good reputation for dealing with this sort of complaint or query, and I emphasise that this is not my prefered course of action, but my records, taken daily, just don't tally generally with theirs and I can't get a sensible response.

However, the problem is that I'm house-sitting for a friend who has been temporarily posted abroad for about 12 months. It's convenient for both, but the bills are in my friend's name, while I pay. He was having the same problem before his new posting came up, but it wasn't resolved, so he asked me to keep an eye on things. I just want to submit the information without prejudice to him or me because it occurred to me that this might be an unapproved sub-let. Obviously I have to pay, but I want to demonstrate the discrepancy so the problem may get a better response.

Upvote 0
John

Why submit the data to the energy company?

Why not submit it and the erroneous bill to OfGem?

Upvote 0
Dear All,

I don't want to clog up an excellent forum with issues that are not really Excel-related. I'm completely frustrated with the whole issue, but I'll just print hard copy and use the normal post. It takes longer, usually gets to the wrong department, but it will end the discussion on this topic. Sorry for wasting time - thanks to all.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aveternik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back